Friday, June 25, 2010

The Lord's Wrath is Kindled

Today I read 2 Nephi 15. It talked about many things but I was struck by the parts where it talked about those who wake up only to consume more strong drink. And it got me thinking about the scripture in Matthew where the Savior says in order to save our lives we must lose them (in service to others). I have talked about it before today so I won't belabor the point, but it really makes me think about my own life and evaluate how I am spending my time.

I was also struck by verse 23 where is says "Who justify the wicked for reward...". It got me thinking of all the things people will do in this world for money. People will commit whoredoms for money, they will even commit murder for money. True I think that the people who do those horrible things because they enjoy them and not for money are worse, but how many of the people in this world will not lower themselves, significantly, for the sake of money.

Just the other day I happened to be watching a program on TV and saw a commercial that said it was based on a true story and it is about a husband and a wife who, faced with financial ruin, the wife turns to prostitution. It made me sick to my stomach! How could anyone not face the consequences of their own actions and betray the most sacred vow of marriage like that??? It disgusted me so much that I think I straight up turned off the television and didn't even finish my program.

My wife, when we met, loved to watch those programs where the police officers take the evidence at a crime scene and find the perpetrator of the crime. I hate those programs, because it reminds me of the evil in the world and that people do these horrible things to one another and it drives the Spirit away. I will not watch certain scary movies for the same reason. I do not like being reminded of the evil things people do to one another. I honestly don't know how God stands it, and how He can stay His hand and let people use their agency in such a way. Truly I am not ready and it breaks my heart to even think about such destructive uses of our God given gifts.

I shudder for those people who commit those crimes when they reach the other side and the true horror of the things they have done hit those people. I weep for them for as bad as it was for Alma, those people will most certainly want to cease to exist and will sadly, have to pay the price for their sins, even as our Savior did in the Garden of Gethsemane. May we all choose to not even put ourselves in that position by living a good and righteous life. But if we do screw up, may we be speedy to repent. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment