Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rules Concerning Who Priests Can Marry Set Forth

Today I read Leviticus 21 which govern the rule concerning the priests and who can offer sacrifice in the holy of holies.  The priests who are allowed back behind the holy of holies must be without physical blemish of any kind.  This is another instance where it seems really harsh until you remember that they are acting in the stead of Jesus Christ, who had no blemish.  Although I have never heard it said He had no physical blemish, it makes sense since He would have just been able to heal them Himself if He had any.

The part that is interesting to me is that the priests are commanded to marry a virgin.  This means they cannot marry someone who is a widow or divorced.  Now this is one that I don't understand.  I also don't understand why Jesus when He was on the earth forbade marrying someone who was divorced for any reason other than fornication.  It seems unusually cruel to me.  Now, I feel I understand the nature of God pretty well, and God is not cruel despite what some might think, so there is a reason behind this.  I just don't know or understand it. 

It can be a challenge sometimes to follow the commandments of God, especially when we don't understand them.  It is my understanding however that according to what I have read, if someone marries someone who is divorced, the sin is upon the head of the person who divorced the woman.  I'm sure it will all make sense when I need to know it and when I pass away and can ask Heavenly Father about it.  Until then, I am not too worried about it since I am already married and barring she passes away before me, will not be getting married again.  I am totally committed to her, and she to me.  I wish everyone could have such a relationship as I do.  The world would be such a nicer place!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment