Sunday, June 3, 2012

Commandments Given to Moses Still in Effect

Today I read Leviticus 19 where the Lord forbids multiple kinds of sin.  Included in this chapter is the forbidding of body piercings and tattoos.  I wonder if because so many people consider this all to be part of the law of Moses if that is why so many Christians in our day just flat out ignore all of it?  I'm sure they are out there, but I am not aware of any other Christian religions besides the Latter-day Saints that forbid tattoos and body piercings.

I sometimes wish God had been more clear what was the Law of Moses and what wasn't.  To my understanding, when Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law of Moses, the part that was fulfilled was the part concerning animal sacrifice.  All the commandments that He gave to the Israelites including the 10 commandments and other commandments such as incest, homosexuality, tattoos and everything else are still in effect today for all Christians.  It's so strange to me that most Christians believe the 10 commandments are still in effect, even if they won't follow them, but discount everything else the Lord said to the Israelites of that day.

Of course, maybe they do believe it's all still in effect and they just don't care.  As I said, how many Christians actually follow the 10 commandments?  How many Latter-day Saints follow them?  Not nearly enough, for both categories!  If you need proof that Latter-day Saints are just as at fault as the rest of the Christian world, just watch any General Conference.  There is plenty of rebuking and calls to repentance going on.  Latter-day Saints are not perfect by any means, and we do not have the market cornered when it comes to sinning and discounting the commandments of God.

We could all be doing better, including me.  I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  I need help to be better and to make sure I am living the commandments the way God intends them to be lived.  Our Latter-day prophets do a great job of making sure we all understand what is expected of us and what we need to be doing.  God is still God.  The commandments He gave the Israelites so that they could be more like Him are still in effect.  He still cannot stand sin in the least degree of allowance.  He still commands us to be perfect no matter what.  We are only going to fulfill that command if we follow all the commandments that He has laid forth for us.  But it is possible.  Remember that God gives no commandments unless He prepares a way for mankind to accomplish what He has commanded us.  I don't know about you, but that gives me a lot of hope.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment