Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Man is Stone for Breaking the Sabbath

Today I read Numbers 15 where different types of offerings are laid forth.  I'm so glad that in our day and age we don't have to worry about giving different types of offerings for different things.  It's just a flat give 10% of your annual increase.  You don't have to worry about the circumstances or what type of an offering to make, you just have to pay your tithing.  It's so much easier.

I often wonder if the harsh penalties for disobeying the laws and commandments were still in force today what kind of a world we would live in?  In this chapter a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day.  Now, as far as physical labor goes, that's about as easy as it gets really.  But when Moses asked the Lord what should be done with the man, he was told to stone him!  That is a really harsh punishment for so light an offense.  Or perhaps it is not a light offense.  It's hard to tell really because so much has changed and the world does not keep the sabbath day holy at all any more so compared to what most people are doing, gathering sticks seems almost laughable as far as sins go.

But I wonder what would our wold be like if we imposed such harsh penalties in our own times for breaking the Sabbath day.  I'll tell you one thing, there would be no more breaking of the Sabbath!  Sometimes I wish there was a more concentrated effort on the part of everyone else to do what was right and follow the commandments of God.  It would make for a really nice world I think.  I guess I'll just have to wait for the millennium.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment