Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Work, an Eternal Principle

Today I read 2 Thessalonians 3, Paul's closing to the Saints in Thessalonia. He talks about something that has been on my mind of late, work. It really blows my mind how we have somehow developed a culture in this country of not working. That the ideal is to not work a full day for wages but instead to just sit around and let others take care of them. And we wonder why depression is so prevalent in the United States.

We have talked in the past that God is a god of work. He does things and does not just sit around basking in the adoration of His creations. But that somehow got lost in the message to His children. It is important that we also be working to provide for ourselves. I really don't understand how anyone can have good self-esteem if they are not working and are able to work. It really drives me crazy how our welfare program is run. I think that if we actually employed people to survey the people who apply for welfare, it would end up costing us less despite all the money we would have to pay these investigators. But I am getting off topic.

My purpose is not to complain about those who are not working but rather to extoll on the virtues of work. Whether we realize it or not, our self image is very much affected by our ability, or lack thereof to work. Those who are on welfare, depending on their circumstances, have either shut out the voice inside them that tells them they need to be working, or are dying inside because they are unable to work to provide for themselves. Now, some are legitimate in their inability to work. Some desire with all their hearts to earn their own way and to provide for their loved ones but can't for one reason or another. Just like King Benjamin I say they are justified because of their desires. But there are those who have found a way to take advantage of the system and get around working for a living. I don't know how those people can live with themselves and frankly how they can not be bored to tears. I enjoy a good vacation just like anyone, but if I don't work for too long, I get bored out of my mind. I start chomping at the bit for something to do. It generally takes about a week and a half of vacation. Anything more than that and I actually miss work.

It is important to be able to provide for your family and there is no job that is too menial. If you are striving to work and provide for your family, I firmly believe that Heavenly Father will bless you for it. For a period of about 9 months I was working 2 jobs because my wife was unable to work and our bills were such that we either needed more income or less expense. Since less expense was not an option, I picked up a second, part time job. I did what was necessary to provide for the needs of my family rather than be a burden on society or the church or my family. It was a sacrifice and I didn't see my wife for more than about 15 minutes per day on the days I worked both jobs. But I was able to provide for my families needs. That is what was important to me.

God is a god of work, as we have said. If you need proof of that, go read Moses 1:39 again. He states it is His WORK and His glory. It is against the law of heaven to get something for nothing. There is no such thing as a free lunch and we need to make sure we are working to our maximum capacity as our circumstances and health will allow. God will bless us for our efforts to provide for our families and to be anxiously engaged in a good cause. Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Fred. I appreciate everything you said. It is so true.

    Mahalo for sharing.

    ReplyDelete