Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Day

Today I read Hebrews 4 where Paul talks about entering into the rest of Heavenly Father. On this day where we commemorate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ it got me thinking about God and His mercy. Those of you who read this and are parents know that there is no love that can quite compare with the love you feel for your children. It transcends everything and if it were possible you would shield them from any pain and suffering that they would ever have to go through.

Now, times that love by a thousand and it probably won't begin to be what Heavenly Father feels for us. Heavenly Father has known us far longer than any of us have even been alive. I personally don't see how any love could be stronger or more pure than what I feel for my little girl, but I believe that Heavenly Father's is. I believe that He would literally do anything in His infinite power to help me if He thought it was for my benefit. What Heavenly Father DOES have that I do not, is perspective. He understands what is best for me and while it may pain Him to see me suffer, He knows I will be better for it. Just like a parent must watch their child suffer through a shot because he/she knows it will help the child in the long run and potentially save their life.

Heavenly Father loves us enough that He allowed His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to come down and suffer all the pain, agony, sorrow, loneliness, emotional torment and every other painful emotion that man can feel, so that we might have a chance to return to live with Him. Paul talks about entering into God's rest, or in other words, partaking of Eternal Life, the kind of life God enjoys. When we do what He asks of us, and accept the Atonement into our lives, it will change us, literally. We will be a different person. I look back just 8 short years ago and I am amazed at the memories that I have and that they are me. Songs I used to love now cause the Spirit to leave. Movies and TV shows I enjoyed, I now cringe and think, "I used to watch this???". I am a different person than I was then. I'm closer to the Spirit now and it is largely due to the positive influence of my wife. Never underestimate the influence a righteous woman can have over a man! I don't know where I would be without her help and her companionship.

God loved us so He sent His Son, the Hymn goes. And it is very true. God sent His most precious treasure, His only physical Son, in this life, to earth for the sole purpose of suffering and dying. Jesus had nothing to learn but everything to teach. He did it willingly, for you and for me. I truly believe that in the throes of agony during which He took upon Him our sins and pains, He reminded Himself why He was doing this and thought about us individually. Don't let that be in vain. Accept His sacrifice into your life and allow it to change you for the better! On this most holy of days where we celebrate His birth, even if it wasn't December 25th, take a moment to say a prayer and thank Heavenly Father for what He gave up for us. His most precious Son. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment