Thursday, December 1, 2011

God's Method

Today I read 1 Thessalonians 2 where Paul reminds them of the tactics he and his companions used when preaching the Gospel to them. While it seems to me that Paul maybe does a bit of an overkill, his point is a good one. God follows the same pattern He always has since the beginning of time and the earth was created. God does not use guile, He does not deceive, He does not use force or does not argue.

It's interesting to me that so many Christian religions can feel animosity towards one another when we are all trying to do the same thing, bring about the salvation of man. I can remember multiple times while on my mission being verbally attacked by other missionaries of various faiths. While at other times I can remember pleasant exchanges with missionaries where we rejoiced in our mutual love and faith in Christ. I can remember on particular instance with much fondness. My companion and I had just finished tracting a street and had taught a first discussion and placed the Book of Mormon I had been carrying so all I had in my hands was my bible. As we were walking back to my car, I noticed a pair of missionaries for another Christian church also tracting the street. They were Chinese, a younger woman probably in her 20-30's and a much older gentleman probably in his 70's or older. I remember the older man came right up to me, did not say a word and turned my hand over so that he could see what I was carrying. When he saw it was the bible he got so excited and danced a little jig right there in the street and showed me his bible and smiled and said "The Bible!". The young woman also smiled at me and then they left. It was a very pleasant, all be it strange exchange.

Paul points out to the Saints that he has never used force to preach the Gospel but rather has always taught with the Spirit. And that is important. As I mentioned God follows a pattern and since God is not physically here, He is represented by those who claim His name. Today in the world there are millions that do not believe in God because of the many atrocities that man has committed in God's name. The Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials, the list goes on and on. It is quite ridiculous how man thinks they can do anything they want and that God will ok it. The arrogance of man never fails to astonish me. I have often wondered how such men and women feel when they get to the other side and realize they were not serving God but were serving instead the devil. Sometimes I wonder how many of them were serving the devil knowingly. I will probably never know and it truthfully does not matter. All that matters is that I know whom I am serving and I do it in the right way.

Alma taught that the preaching of the word of God had a greater effect on the hearts of man than anything else, including the sword, or threat of death. This is because the Gospel of Jesus Christ can change mans' hearts. Are we really changed in heart however if we do not do things God's way? We need to make sure we are not trying to impose our methods on God. I love the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels and Sherlock Holmes is always complaining that people try and change facts to suit theories instead of changing theories to suit facts. We should not try and change God to be what we want to be. We should change who WE are to be what God wants us to be. He can see the end from the beginning. Isn't that the sort of person you want to listen to? Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment