Friday, December 16, 2011

Scriptures are for our Edification

Today I read 2 Timothy 3 where Paul describes the people of the last day and I have to tell you he is spot on! He describes us as lovers of their own selves, absolutely. We are obsessed in this day and age with ourselves, how we look, how people perceive us, whether or not someone has treated us poorly, we are definitely more concerned with ourselves than with anything else. Covetous, we talked about this one just the other day, we all want what we don't have. If you need proof of that, just go watch TV for about 10 minutes and you'll see commercial after commercial of things you "need". Boasters and proud. These two go hand in hand and if you have ever been around someone who likes to play what I call the one up game you know all about this.

He goes on to name lots of other traits that I do not have time to talk about in depth. Some jumped out at me that I thought were interesting, such as disobedient to parents, unthankful and despisers of those who are good. We definitely see all of these traits these days and it is sad that we see them in adults. These are very childish traits but we are seeing them more and more in adults these days also. However, there is a remedy for such traits and Paul tells us what it is later in the chapter.

At the end of the chapter Paul talks about the scriptures. He says that all scripture is given by God and is profitable for doctrine and for reproof and for correction. I think we don't use the scriptures enough and in the right ways like we are meant to. I think that the scriptures are meant to be a much more integral part of our lives. We are meant to spend at least 30 minutes per day studying them and some of us don't even crack open the scriptures. It always warms my heart when I am at work and I see someone with the Bible open on his/her desk and studying from it. These are men and women who know the importance of studying the word of God. They understand that the scriptures are meant for our instruction and our edification.

If we all read and used the scriptures as we are asked to and meant to, this world would be a much better place. Even without modern scripture such as the Book of Mormon, if everyone just read the Bible and adhered to its teachings this world would be such a happy place. I long for a world where that happens. But until then, I suffice it to know that I am trying to do my part to make sure this world is a better place by living the teachings of Jesus Christ. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment