Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What might have been

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 31 which is a revelation give to Thomas B. Marsh. Most scriptorians will recall that Thomas B. Marsh actually falls away from the church over 1 pint of cream and his pride but eventually he repents and returns but he lost his reward. If you think about it, that it the ultimate reward of sin is the lost opportunity. All sin can be repented of except for denying the Holy Ghost but what might have happened, what could you have done during the time you repented? That is the true loss.

The Lord even warns Thomas Marsh to pray always lest he enter into temptation and lose his reward. He lost a big reward, or responsibility however you choose to look at it, by his sins. Thomas B. Marsh when he leaves the church was head of the quorum of the twelve Apostles, which we all know means he was next in line to become prophet. But he fell away and it fell to Brigham Young instead. What a lost opportunity!

I once read a quote from one of the general authorities that the Lord will hold us accountable for those we might have saved had we done our duty. I would think that the same is true of if we had not sinned and lost our privilege of going to the temple, or giving a priesthood blessing, etc. Unfortunately there is a point in my life where I was asked by someone I home teach for a blessing and I had to turn them down because I was not worthy. It is one of the few regrets in my life.

One would think that such thoughts and worries would keep people from making mistakes and serious sin. However, that last thing on your mind when you are faced with serious sin is what you have to do tomorrow, or that you won't be worthy to give a blessing the next day. However, one of the ways to resist a temptation that has not yet taken hold of you is to think of all those things and remember your priesthood duties or if you are a woman, your family duties, especially if you are a mother.

Speaking of family, another part of this section that stood out to me is the very beginning where the Lord tells Thomas B. Marsh how he has had afflictions because of his family but one day they will know the truth and join with him. I'll bet there was no sweeter words spoken to Thomas Marsh than those. It must be incredibly hard to not have your family accept your decision to join the church. I have not had to go through that particular trial because my parents are already members, but I can only imagine the heartache that some people have to go through when their parents do not accept their decisions.

It is hard to look at someone's situation and know exactly what they are going through because we do not know the situation and choices that have led up to that point in their life. It is easy to look at a person's situation and say things like you would not have done it that way or you would have stood up to your parents in that situation. Well would you really have if you had gone through exactly what that person had? It is impossible to say and only the Lord can say for certain if you in fact would have. The fact is though that each of us are given the trials that we need to progress and I daresay that if other people were given the same trials as us, it might be a breeze for them to endure them because they have already progressed to the point that they no longer need those trials to continue their progression.

I am personally grateful to have had a family that was accepting of my choices in this life and only butted heads with me on very unimportant things. I am also grateful that most of the missed opportunities because of choices I made in my life were not that many and despite my sins I have always tried to do my Priesthood Duty anyway. And I am especially glad for a wife that pushes me to be better than I currently am and tries to get me to improve and not just accept the status quo and call it good. Because we never stand still. We either improve or regress. And I will tell you this too, you won't improve without making a conscious choice about it. If you don't make the choice, Satan will make it for you and before you know it you will open your eyes and wonder just what in the world happened. It has happened to so many, don't let it happen to you. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment