Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Proper Way to Supplicate the Lord

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 9, where Oliver Cowdery is commanded to not try translating any more for the time being but rather to just assist as a scribe for Joseph. The first thing that came to mind on the very first verse was actually the parable of the talents. The Lord tells Oliver that his gift is being taken away because he did not use it appropriately. Doesn't that sound like the person who hid his talent rather than make it grow?

I have often been confused by the parable of the talents as I believe we are given our talents by God and they are meant to be used to further His work. But some talents are a bit more obscure I think to bless the lives of others. For example, my wife thinks I am a very good singer. I have never taken lessons and it is just something I was born with. Now, I am no Andrea Bochelli, but I do have a better voice than a lot of rock/pop stars. But how does one bless the lives of others with a good signing voice? The only thing that comes to mind is singing in the choir but I don't really see how that actually blesses peoples lives. Now, I do use my voice to sing primary and church songs to my daughter, but other than that, I don't really use my voice.

Now my other talents I try and use to help others, not necessarily in a Gospel sense, but in a service sense for sure. I am very good with electronics, especially computers, and I give my knowledge away freely when I can to help people. I am also very knowledgeable in the scriptures and the gospel and try and help out teachers in Sunday School and Priesthood meetings. Perhaps my single greatest talent is that I am a very happy person and have a happy demeanor about me at almost all times and I act happy and try and lighten the lives of those around me.

But that is actually not what I wanted to talk about today. This is the most famous section for explaining how revelation is received. The Lord tells Oliver that the reason he is not being allowed to continue to translate is because he did not do it in he correct way. When we take things to the Lord, we are expected to work the things out in our minds and come to a conclusion before asking the Lord, and then we go to Him for confirmation. Just like when we get married, for those of you reading this who are married anyway, you did not ask the Lord who you should marry. Rather you went out and found the girl/guy you desired to marry and then asked the Lord if it was acceptable to Him if you married that individual.

All too often we fall into the trap of not coming up with the answer ourselves and just asking the Lord to solve it for us. This is not acceptable to Him and we need to rather use the intelligence that God has given us to search out the answer on our own and then only come to Him for confirmation. Remember, the ultimate goal here is to one day become exalted and if that happens we won't have God around to ask for help, rather others will be asking us for help. I know that is a bit extreme to think about right now, but think of it instead as being a father or mother in this life. You will have children looking up to you and asking YOU for advice and what they should do. That is a bit more down to earth for most of us I think.

But it really is that important that we follow the correct pattern when supplicating the Lord for anything because as we will read later, when we follow the correct pattern, He is bound to help us. However, when we don't, it is up to Him if He will help us or not. I don't know about you but I would rather have His help when I can get it as opposed to not. I'm sure you would too. So follow the correct pattern and ensure His help rather than wonder if He is going to help you or not. It's must easier and you will have peace of mind that the Lord is on your side in all your endeavors. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment