Sunday, January 16, 2011

Come Listen to a Prophets Voice

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 21, which was given during the organization meeting of the church in this dispensation. I was most struck by verse 5 where the Lord tells those in attendance to receive Joseph's word as if directly from the Lord's mouth.

It got me thinking as I read it this morning on how lucky we are to have a living prophet on the earth in these last days. It has always amazed me how often this simple truth resonates with people not of our faith. It just makes sense to them that there should be a prophet and apostles on the earth in our day just as there were in ancient times, for God does not change.

However, it also amazes me how many people find this idea not only wrong but offensive, as if we had just slapped their mother or some other similar affront. I do not understand why they get so upset when we exclaim in joy and gladness that there is a true and living prophet on the earth today. I think they must take it as a personal insult to their intelligence to read the scriptures and follow the teachings themselves. I have heard it said that many people associate the term "blind obedience" to Latter-day Saints. And it is true that I have come across this objection myself as a missionary. Many people think that having a prophet on the earth would add nothing but would in fact limit their abilities to think for themselves and other such nonsense.

However nothing could be further from the truth. In this day and age of many religions and just as in Joseph Smith's time when they all interpret the same passage of scripture so differently, how can people not desire a prophet like in days of old to show them the way? It is sad to me that so many people will not even put it to the test to pray about it. However, I am often hesitant to talk about receiving answers to prayers in mixed faith conversations because I am never sure how well it will go over, however, I am surprised that almost all persons of all faiths believe they can communicate with God and that He will answer them.

And yet despite this fact, they are also hesitant to believe in a living prophet today. But despite their doubts, we do in fact have a prophet on the earth today and have since 1820 when Joseph Smith received the first vision. It is also sad to me how few of us actually take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to listen to a prophets voice. How many faithful Latter-day Saints do you know that skip General Conference? That don't read the Ensign? It's like having a bar of gold in your possession but refusing to cash it in when the debt collectors come knocking at your doors! I do not understand why so many squander such a wonderful opportunity to listen directly to a prophet's instructions. I remember a book I used to love as a child about a goose who finds a book and carries it around and people assume she is smart because she has a book, but not once does she ever open the book and read it and she leads many other animals to disaster because of their misplaced faith. I always think about this book when I think about people who believe in the prophet but do not follow his counsels.

Just as President Henry B. Eyering said in the last October general conference, when a prophet speaks, we should listen and heed the counsel given. For the Lord has told us in his scriptures to heed the word of the prophet as if it were His own. I know all of us would be in attendance with pen and pad ready to take notes if it were made known that the Lord Jesus Christ himself were to be in attendance and speaking in the next General Conference. Well guess what? According to the scriptures, He will be! In the form of President Thomas S. Monson or the next prophet should something unforeseen happen to our beloved prophet. Take advantage of the wonderful opportunity this age of technology gives us to listen to the prophets voice speak the things our Savior would say to us if He were here. And more importantly, follow the counsel he gives. You will not be sorry you did! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment