Friday, January 14, 2011

The Meaning of Eternal

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 19. I have always enjoyed this section as it contains many truths. I also have fond memories of it from my mission. I served my mission in California and our mission asked us to memorize certain scriptural references and a brief snippet of what the scripture contained. When I first became a senior companion, my first junior companion was in the process of trying to memorize the scriptures. It eventually got to the point he could tell me each of the references, except the one in section 19. It became his nemesis and we had a running joke that if here were ever hanging from a cliff and someone offered to pull him up if he could just tell them what section 19 verses 16-19 said he might as well just let go of the cliff. So everytime I read this section it reminds me of my companion.

This section also reminds me of college. I attended BYU-Idaho and later, BYU-Provo. When I attended at BYU-Provo, my first semester there as a junior in college, I attended a Doctrine and Covenants course with a professor that I cannot remember his name but I thoroughly enjoyed his class and personality. He would always start off by telling jokes and we had a very good time in that class. The reason this section reminds me of that course is because one day he asked the class what the word "eternal" meant. It was at that moment the Spirit taught me something. I remember 2 definitions were given and neither one was the one the professor desired. Suddenly as it was whispered to me I blurted out, "It means God's kind". He stopped and looked at me with surprise and pleasure and said that it did indeed mean that.

When we read in the scriptures, especially Doctrine and Covenants section 19, about eternal life, it does not mean a life that goes on endlessly. Rather it means the kind of life that God leads. When we read about eternal punishment, we are talking about the punishment of God. And actually, if you have eyes to see when you read this section, it tells you this in this section. It tells you that eternal punishment is not endless, rather it is God's punishment.

Much like the meaning of the word damn or damned, it does not mean we are consigned to hell and a state of misery, rather it means our progression is halted and we can move no further. I mean if you think about it, it is rather obvious that the word eternal is not the same as immortality. Otherwise Moses 1:39 would be really redundant.

I also like the verses that my poor companion had such a hard time memorizing. Verses 16-19 where the Lord invites us all to repent and avoid suffering the same kind of pain that He did. I am always struck by the love our Savior has for us and that His greatest desire is for us to not suffer for our sins. That is the reason He suffered so much for us, because He loves us and does not want us to suffer as He did. I am always struck by the love He has for us when I read this section. It comes through so clearly and completely. It is much the same love a parent has for their child. For almost any parent would gladly suffer in place of their child if it were at all possible.

This is another reason I like the Doctrine and Covenants because it clarifys so much that is vague in the scriptures. The next time you read the scriptures and come across the word eternal, I invite you to substitue the phrase God's kind for that word and it will open up whole new possibilities and promises that you never knew were there! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment