Tuesday, January 17, 2012

He Will Cleanse Us from Unrighteousness

Today I read 1 John 1, John's introduction to his readers. It is pretty standard stuff and very similar to what we have read many times over from Paul, James and Peter, but I was struck by one of the verses, verse 9 to be exact. John says that if we confess our sins He will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. To me that is more than just forgiving us, that is the power to change our very nature.

It brings to mind something I was taught on my mission by my mission president. He said that a lot of people misunderstand the Atonement. He said that most people think of the Atonement as a tooth this is chipped and missing part of itself from something we have done. When we truly repent, Jesus comes in and gives us a filling, essentially bringing us back to where we were before. My mission president said that this is incorrect. What actually happens is more akin to Jesus giving us a whole new tooth altogether. What comes to my mind when I read John saying that Jesus will cleanse us from all unrighteousness, I take from that phrase that Jesus actually changes us and removes US from the unrighteousness, not that He removes the unrighteousness from us.

I think the way to explain it is an example from my own life. My whole outlook on life changed the day my daughter was born. I used to think a certain way, I used to like certain movies and media that I now find abhorrent. When I watch a movie now I can't help but think about what my daughter would think of it and how she would react to it. When I read stories or see the news about things happening to little children I instantly and almost without thought wonder what if that was my daughter? I am a completely different individual than I was before she was born.

But I am also completely different from when I was in college as far as what I am willing to watch and listen to. I have allowed the Atonement into my life and it has made me a completely new person. I no longer desire to watch inappropriate movies and language in film and music that I used to overlook now causes a noticeable lack of the Spirit in my life. By choosing to live a righteous life, the Atonement and the Spirit have changed my very nature. He can do the same for everyone if they will but turn to Him and if it is their desire. He gives us what we ask for, within reason, so it is up to us to desire the right thing. But He will help us and will not lead us astray, all we have to do is trust in Him. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment