Saturday, January 28, 2012

Glorify God

Today I read Revelation 4 where John sees the throne of God and sees 24 elders surrounding the throne of God as well as 4 animals, all in the act of praising God. I have often wondered what other animals that God created on other worlds would look like. I think the animals we have on this planet can be odd looking enough, especially the ones that we don't see all that often.

Joseph Smith received a revelation, centuries later about these 4 animals and it was revealed to him that these animals are representative of animals that fulfilled the measure of their creation and were exalted. I have often thought it would be neat to be able to communicate with animals and be more a part of their world. I also thought it would be neat to better understand them, because there are some animals that just seem mean for no reason. I can understand needing to kill so you can eat like large cats do, or protecting their young such as bears. But what about animals like hippos that are just plain mean for seemingly no reason at all beyond you happened to be where they didn't want you to be? Are they really fulfilling the measure of their creation? Only Heavenly Father really knows that. I do firmly believe, as I have mentioned before, that animals have agency just like the rest of us and can choose to do that which is right or that which is wrong.

But knowing that these animals glorify God and have magnified their existence, it gives me pause and makes me wonder if I am doing everything I should be doing. We all have the same opportunity in this life to glorify God or to do that which is wrong in His sight. We may not always understand the choices as that black or white, but that is what we are doing. We are either choosing to follow God, or we are choosing something else. Just like Nephi saw that there are really only two churches, there are really only two choices in this life. We are either following Him, or we aren't. And if you need help to determine which you are doing, just listen to the still small voice, just as the primary song says, and He will guide you. I mean, if animals can do it, why can't we? Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment