Thursday, January 26, 2012

God Knows Us Individually

Today I read Revelation 2 which is a chapter that is directed towards specific individuals. I am intrigued by this chapter and it is a little heartwarming. This may sound strange to some, but this chapter proves, as if we needed it, that God is very much aware of who we are, and what our unique challenges are. He personalizes each message to these men and talks about things that the rest of us are not sure what to make of it, but that I'm positive the men he is referring to understand just fine.

I remember when I was a teenager I had a thing for this girl. Big shock I know, a guy likes a girl, where have we heard that before? But anyway, I was overweight, not grotesquely so, but enough for a self conscious teenager to be worried about it, but I wouldn't say I was ugly either. But despite this, she was the type of girl that would not give me the time of day. I don't know why, although I suspect Satan had no small part in it, but I was completely infatuated with this girl, even though she and her friends did not treat me all that well to be honest. But I remember I prayed for months and months why she and I could not be together, I was quite the determined young man I can tell you. And it was only when I got fed up and actually accused Heavenly Father of just not answering me that I got an answer to my prayer. Now, I will not share that answer here because it was very personal, but there is no doubt in my mind it came from God and it was tailored to me. He was most definitely answering me and not just placating me. At the time I didn't understand His answer, I accepted it because, well, He's God! But I didn't understand it. Having the benefit of about 16-17 years of life to look back on now though, I understand what Heavenly Father meant and how He protected me, even from myself. He loved me enough to tell me "no".

Tough love. No one likes to be the recipient of it. Very few of us have the stomach to dish it out. But we all need it. We all desire things that are bad for us at some point. If God did not love us, He would spoil us and just give us whatever we ask for, knowing that doing so was actually detrimental to our growth. But He does love us and He does understand that if He were to do that, it would not turn out well for us in the long run. Let me just say that if He had allowed that girl and I to "date" back then, it would not have turned out well for either one of us. I understand that and God told me so, who am I to doubt Him? He loved me enough to deny me something, or even someone, I really wanted. And it wasn't the last time either. I dated only 2 girls in my life before meeting my wife. Both of them were very difficult to let go of, but Heavenly Father had something different, and dare I say better, planned for me. It almost broke me, and I made the sin of telling Heavenly Father I hated Him for doing that to me. Believe you me I have since repented and that caused some bitter anguish and tears on my part to be assured of His forgiveness from that! Words can destroy, anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Anyway, I have strayed from my original point. God knows us individually. Just as parents know and understand their children, God knows each one of us and loves us. He understands who we are, and more importantly, who we can become with His help. He wants to get us there and is willing to deny us things we really want to do it. He knows our weaknesses and our trials. He is ready and waiting to help us when we fall. All we have to do is go to Him and surrender our will to Him, and we will be amazed at who we can become. Try it, if you have not already. You won't regret it and will wish you had done it years ago. Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I had to smile when I read that you told HF that you hated him. That is a normal, and natural response from a child to a parent. My daughter said that to me that whole time she was a teenager. She too has repented and had a change of heart, thanking me over and over again for the way I raised her. As we mature we understand and accept the decisions of our Heavenly Parent. I know he is patient and loving as we go through our various stages of maturation. Very good post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete