Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Spirit Testifies of Christ

Today I read Matthew 16. It always surprises me how often the Savior's disciples did not understand what He was talking about. I would have thought that after following Him for several months and seeing Him do so many miracles, not the least of which include calming the storms and walking on the sea, that they would be more in tune with the Spirit. For example, when the Savior warns them to beware the Pharisees' and Sadducees' teachings, but instead uses the example of leaven, they think He is rebuking them for not bringing any bread. I just can't for the life of me think why they would interpret what He says to them as a rebuke about true bread.

I'm sure by now they should have been used to the Savior's way of talking, but then again perhaps not. The teaching in parables was probably still pretty new for them, so I guess I can understand their being confused by it but it is just so strange that they would think He would rebuke them in such a round about way. Maybe He had in the past and we don't have a record of it, who knows.

The meat of the chapter, or the part that stood out to me the most was the verses that most Latter-day Saints will recognize as a scripture mastery. Jesus asked His Apostles who the general populace thought He was. They gave several answers but the general consensus was that Jesus was a prophet. Then He asked them who they thought He was. Peter answered that He was the Christ, or the Messiah, the son of the living God. Jesus then tells Peter that he is blessed and that he did not come to this conclusion on his own, but rather the Holy Ghost had revealed it unto him. This goes back to one of our previous discussions about how active the Holy Ghost was during the life of Jesus.

The Holy Ghost was still testifying of the truthfulness of the Gospel and the divinity of Jesus, but to my knowledge, they were not giving people the gift of the Holy Ghost while Jesus was on the earth. But we do know from this verse that people could still feel the power of the Holy Ghost and feel the truthfulness of the Gospel through His influence. It brings up an interesting question, can one be convinced of the truthfulness of the Gospel without the Holy Ghost? It is the Holy Ghost's job to testify of the truth, and we can infer from that, to give people a testimony and help grow and existing testimony. So that begs the question, is it possible to gain a testimony, without the Holy Ghost bearing witness of the truth? The question is most likely moot because I do not think there will ever be a case where someone gains a testimony without the help of the Holy Ghost. Because even if you are convinced of it intellectually, the Holy Ghost would still testify of it to you to give you a Spiritual witness as well. Just food for thought.

The last thing that stood out to me is in verse 26, "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man given in exchange for his soul?" Too many people don't realize that they are doing just this, I think. They are giving up their Spiritual lives for almost nothing. They are doing things that make our Father in Heaven weep and are reveling in it, not realizing what they are giving up. There are people that desire power in this life above all other things and are willing to give anything to get it. I've never understood why people do that, power is such a fickle thing. All it takes is 1 person to stand up against it and poof the supposed power is gone. Power does not make you stronger, it does not protect you and it for sure does not give a better Spiritual life. And yet people desire it. It's very sad to me.

And yet even as I sit here and type this, I have to wonder and do a self examination to see what I am giving up my soul for? What am I trading my spirituality for in this life? In other words, what sins am I too fond of to give up? What will keep me from becoming like my Heavenly Father? It's a very sobering question and thought and one that each person needs to answer for himself/herself. But each of us has that one sin that either they enjoy too much, or is too strong for them overcome themselves. It is only with the Lord's help that we can overcome it. Thankfully, He wants to help us and He wants us to return to Him. All we need to do is ask in sincerity and He will help you. Of course, just getting up the courage to genuinely ask is probably the hardest part. But once you pass that hurdle, it's all downhill from there and the rewards are SO worth it! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment