Friday, April 22, 2011

Tithies and Offerings

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants sections 119 and 120, both about tithing. In Section 119 the law of tithing as we know it today was given, and in section 120, which is only 1 verse long, the properties which had previously been consecrated to the church are to be doled out at the discretion of the First Presidency with the help of the bishop.

We have talked about tithing in the past. Back on November 20, 2010 we talked about the purpose of tithing. We talked about how God could take care of all of His children but He uses us to help Him fulfill His purposes instead. He wants us to use our means that He has blessed us with to bless the lives of others and to overcome the natural man in each of us.

Tithing is one of those commandments that is extremely personal. The only people who know for a fact if you are paying a full, honest tithe are you, the Lord and at the end of the year, your bishop and who ever he reports it to. I remember being a missionary and hearing members of the church where I served talk about not wanting to pay tithing because they did not want the bishop to know who much money they earned. I've always wondered why people care about such things. What does it matter if someone knows how much you earn in a year? Are you afraid they are going to look down on you, or be jealous of you? I really don't understand why it matters how much you earn in a year. As long as it is enough for your families' needs, does it really matter if others know? I think most of it is just embarrassment is my personal thought.

But regardless, tithing and fast offerings is our way of both obeying a commandment of the Lord and helping those around us. The church is organized the way it is for a reason. We do not know all the needs of those around us, largely because most people do not publicize their hard times and their needs, sometimes not even to their closest friends. But the bishop is aware of the needs of the ward and those that come to him. Now, some wards are better about it than others. In our current ward, I was floored when last Christmas, we were given several gift cards from the ward that had been collected for us. We were not suffering at all,, and we were actually doing quite well in my opinion, but the ward wanted to help us since they knew we had just had a new baby and knew that even though we were making it and doing well, they could help and so they did. I was really touched by the generosity of the ward and their love for us.

But back to my original point, in most cases members of the ward are not always aware of the needs and so fast offerings are a way to help those in need. The bishop can take those fast offering and use them to help bless the lives of those in the ward. If the ward is particularly generous in their fast offerings, the excess can go to the stake and help those in other wards. It is a wonderful opportunity we all have and my wife and I pay a fast offering each month, even if we could not fast that month for whatever reason. Contributing to the missionary fund is another great way to serve specific families in your ward. And there are multiple other offerings you can give to the church if you feel so inclined.

Tithing is there for us, to help us grow, as we discussed last November. It is to help us learn charity and to overcome our love of money. I have only once in my life since I started paying tithing not paid a full tithing and it was one of the worst feelings of my life. I vowed then and there to never let it happen again. I try and be that resolute with all the commandments of God, but I fail from time to time. But tithing is one that for me, has always been easy. I think I was lucky to be raised in the church by good parents who taught me the importance of tithing. I have never wavered in my faith of tithing and I've always made sure to pay a full tithe.

One last thought on tithing, there is some debate on the subject of paying tithing on gross income over net income. I will leave you with a story that I heard once that is probably nothing but folklore, but it hits the point home just the same. Someone once asked President, it was either Kimball or Benson I'm not sure which, if we should pay tithing on gross or net income. He replied by asking if they wanted gross or net blessings. It is something that the church has never specified because it is one of those items that the Lord wants us to work out for ourselves through prayer. I personally am very grateful for the law of tithing and if I had to rank the commandments in order of favorites, tithing would most certainly be in the top three along with the Word of Wisdom. Those two are probably my top two favorite to keep and talk about. I hope you too enjoy being able to help those around you and in need and gain just a taste of what Heavenly Father must feel when he blesses the lives of others. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment