Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Temple Dedications and the Lord's Servants

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 109. This section is the prayer that was given at the dedication of the temple in Kirtland, Ohio. This section was in fact a revelation despite it being a prayer of dedication according to the heading of the section but it is not the prayer of dedication that is now used when dedicating a temple.

As I was reading this section I couldn't help but think of the time I attended my first temple dedication. It was the Saint Louis, Missouri temple dedication. It was there that I got to meet President Gordon B. Hinkley. I was in a folding chair in one of the aisles that led to the celestial room. As a matter of fact, I was in the very back on the left aisle, on the right side of that aisle in the aisle seat, as far away from the Celestial room as you can get and still be in the temple. I was just looking around when we all heard the elevator doors open. As we had been instructed, we all stood and faced forward. I was just standing there waiting when I felt a hand on my left shoulder and a voice I very much recognized ask, "And how are you today, brother?" I looked to my left and there was President Hinkley smiling at me with his hand on my shoulder. What's more, he was waiting for an answer! It was not just some random salutation with no meaning, he really wanted to know how I was doing. After about a second I replied that I was "good" and he smiled even wider, patted my shoulder a couple of times and said, "That's good". He and his retinue then walked into the Celestial room. As we were sitting back down I heard the man sitting to my right, there were only two chairs per side per row, whisper, "Oh man, I should have sat on the aisle seat." So while I did not introduce myself to him, this has always been a very fond, very special memory for me. President Hinkley didn't know me from Adam and yet he stopped to ask me, and only me, how I was doing. Not only that, he really wanted to know. It wasn't a random greeting like we give to acquaintances without any thought or care of the answer. He really wanted to know how that 15 year old boy was doing that day. After the dedication President Hinkley came back down our aisle, I felt a little bad for the right side aisle, and shook everyone's hand on that row, including mine. It was a great day.

I have met a few other Apostles and 70's and even Area Authorities in my day and that's something I can say about all of them. They are all, wonderfully humble men that radiate love even though they have never met you. One of my mission companions home ward was the same ward Elder Neal A. Maxwell attended when he was alive. He used to tell me all kinds of stories about Elder Maxwell. When he returned home, I was attending BYU-Provo so I went up to Salt Lake City for his homecoming talk. He asked me to sing "Because I have been given much" with him in Chinese and I agreed. So since I didn't have anywhere better to sit, I sat with my friend on the stand and got to shake Elder Maxwell's hand. However, after the meeting was over, Elder Maxwell came over, hugged my friend, and gave me a big shake and a big smile and whispered in Chinese, "Thank you, my friend".

As a missionary I got to meet President Uchtdorf when he was still Elder Uchtdorf, a member of the 70 along with Elder John B. Dixon. My mother has been hugged by Elder David B. Haight and was told by Elder Jeffery R. Holand that she had a beautiful smile. I had a chance to attend a fireside with Elder Richard G. Scott where at the end he insisted on shaking everyone's hand before they left. My brother and sister in-law live in the same ward as one of Elder David A. Bednar's sons and have had him come speak in their sacrament meetings dozens of times and I've had Elder Bednar, when he came to our Stake Conference last year, fawn and exclaim over my new daughter.

I don't say all this to brag, although it is neat to reminisce and count my blessings of having met so many Apostles and General Authorities, but rather to point out a common theme of humility and genuine love and charity for the Saints, their brothers and sisters. My Dad got to meet President Monson when he came to dedicate the Louisville, Kentucky Temple where my Dad and Mom live and he said that love just radiates off that man. All of these men have a genuine love and affection for us, the Saints. They all have our best interest at heart and it's a little easier to me to pay attention to Conference when I have a personal connection to some of these men. But these men are special and especial witnesses of Christ. Their whole lives, like Alma before them, are dedicated to the Lord and to spreading His message. When they speak we should listen.

The Lord has said the same in Doctrine and Covenants section 1, He stated that whether the Lord uses His servants to speak to us, or He speaks to us directly, it's the same and there is no difference. We should obey His servants just as we would obey Him were He here among us. As we listen to the prophets and apostles and read their messages, we too will grow to be more like they are, because they are like the Savior is. And as I have mentioned before, they did not get that way overnight. They grew line upon line, precept upon precept just as we do. I don't know about you, but it gives me hope for myself. Maybe someday I too can be full of charity and humility the way they are. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment