Friday, April 29, 2011

Temple Work For All

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 127, which is actually not a revelation from the Lord but rather a letter from Joseph Smith to the Saints in Nauvoo. I am always a little in awe of Joseph Smith and his pleasant attitude no matter what challenge came his way. The man was truly humble and willing to submit to all things the Lord saw fit to inflict upon him.

Now, the last half of the section is something the Lord directed him to tell the Saints in regard to baptisms for the dead. Apparently the Saints were doing the baptisms for the dead and not actually recording their work that they were doing. It’s really interesting to me that they would not think to record the work, but perhaps they assumed the work was being recorded in heaven. Also, we have the gift of hindsight and they were in the middle of the work. I think we have all had moments were we had an idea and thought it was the best thing anyone has ever done before. Then someone comes along and bursts our bubble by pointing out something so obvious that we wonder how we ever missed it.

Baptisms for the dead are some of the most sacred and special things we can do for those who are unable to help themselves. It really is quite awesome that the Lord allows us to help take part in this sacred work. I have mentioned in the past that I am originally from Louisville, KY and when I turned 12 years old and was able to perform baptisms for the dead, the closest temple was either in Chicago, IL or Atlanta, GA. Both were about an 8 hour drive. The first few times we went up to Chicago, but then afterwards we would always go down to Atlanta. Those were really fun trips. We would always caravan and looking back now I smile to see what we all sacrificed for just a 4-5 hour temple session. And it was worth all of it!

When I turned 15 they actually built a temple in St. Louis, Missouri. I remember how excited we were that we had a temple only a 5 hour drive away. We could now do temple trips in only 1 day, there and back. I actually got the chance to work at that temple’s open house helping visitors on with the protective footwear they had to wear over their shoes. Later I got to attend the temple’s dedication and I had a unique experience of meeting President Gordon B. Hinckley. It remains to this day one of the most spiritual experiences of my life.

While I was on my mission they built a temple in my hometown of Louisville, KY. Even more awesome was the fact that it was only 2 miles away from my parent’s house and only 4 miles away from my own house that I bought a few years later. Of all the blessings that the Lord has given us as a people, I don’t think any even come close to comparing with the temple. Through the temples we can have an eternal family and we can help those who are unable to help themselves. I stand in awe of those pioneers that sacrificed so much to build temples back in those days of persecution and hate. I often wonder how I would have fared in such a place and time. Thankfully I don’t have to find out. But I do feel the need to honor their sacrifice by making sure that I use those temples as often as I can, or what they went through will be in vain. At least that is how I see it. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment