Monday, November 1, 2010

The Word of God

Today I read 3 Nephi 5, a strange chapter. The 1st half consists of the Nephites and what happened to them after the battle with the Gadianton Robbers. The 2nd half consists of Mormon explaining what he has been doing, again. This is not the first time that Mormon interjects into the Book of Mormon and explains what his purpose is. Although the first time, the Words of Mormon, is mostly explaining about the small plates compared to the large plates.

The part of this chapter that I find interesting is verse 4, where it says that all the Gadianton Robbers that they captured were taught the gospel. And as many people as believed the word of God and entered into a covenant were allowed to go free and live their lives. And as many as would not and still expressed a desire to kill and commit sins were punished according to the law. I can only assume that means they were put to death since the punishment for murder is death.

I am again struck by the sense of integrity these people had. In this day and age, if we were to do this, the people would have no qualms about lying to save their lives. But the Nephites word was so important to them that they would rather tell the truth and die than tell a lie. It really is amazing that they had such a sense of integrity, even towards an enemy. You just don't see such integrity very often in this day and age.

This chapter always reminds me of Alma 31, where the Zoramites have fallen away from the Nephites and the scriptures state that the word of God had a tendency to teach a man to do that which is good. I really like that the Nephites instead of just punishing their prisoners tried to reform them. I was actually just talking to a co-worker Saturday night about how our prisons these days are not set up to reform anyone, they are set up to punish only. At least as far as I am aware. I myself have never frequented one, nor do I ever plan to.

But the scriptures are right, I know, no brainer huh? If a person is truly converted to the word of God it will cause that person change his/her behavior and to become a better person than they are today. You cannot receive such a drastic change by threat, coercion or any other means generally. That is because only the Spirit can change our very nature, which is what is needed to make someone truly change. We have to have a mighty change of heart as Alma calls it so that we no longer have any desire to do evil as King Benjamin taught his people. Only then can we truly change people. And that's what this life is all about, changing ourselves, for the better or the worse. I hope you are choosing to change for the better. I know I am. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment