Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Balance

Today I read 3 Nephi 7, the Nephite government is destroyed and the people separate into tribes, much like they do once the Nephites are completely destroyed. As I read this chapter I am struck by the concept of opposition in all things.

The Nephite government was destroyed in the year 30 a.d., the exact year that the Savior started His earthly ministry. I almost have to wonder if we could get hold of the dates if the Nephites did not destroy their government in the same month that Jesus was baptized. We will probably never know in this life but it's always fun to dream and wonder about such things.

However, I find it no coincidence that the Nephites were at their most evil at the time when the most righteous being ever to walk this earth was performing His miracles and teaching His gospel half a world away. Lehi teaches us in 2 Nephi 2 that there must needs be opposition in all things. So it is no surprise that there is an evil in the world sufficient to be opposite the goodness of the Savior at the same time He is doing His Father's work. Now, I am not trying to imply that the Nephites are the only counterbalance to the Savior's ministry, but I am sure they made up the vast majority of it, especially since when the Lord talks to them after His death He mentions that the city of the Gadianton Robbers was the most corrupt in all the earth.

This is actually a principle I learned in my early adult life. I had been taught it as a teenager but I did not really experience it for myself until my mission. Have you ever noticed that when you have something truly wonderful happen to you within a few weeks or even months some times you will have something truly awful happen to you too? I firmly believe that is the opposition and counterbalance taking effect. Most missionaries know well this concept because they are surrounded by the Spirit all the time, if they are doing what is right anyway, they also have lots and lots of bad experiences too. I know in at least my case though the good way outweighed the bad.

I remember for years my parents telling me that it was really hard to plan a trip to the temple, which was 8 hours away and almost always something bad would happen. There for a few years I remember they would not plan a trip more than 1 month in advance if even that far out! We have explored this concept before that if the devil is leaving you alone, you may want to examine your life and find out why he isn't concerned about you, and if disasters mar your life, you are probably doing something right!

The thing to remember too though is the bad things in your life don't have to be horrible bad things either, they can be lots of little bad things piling up. I remember in August, a month before our daughter was born that it seemed everything that could go wrong with our apartment did go wrong. The dishwasher broke, we had a leak that made a hole in the ceiling, we had unexpected bills show up, my wife and I both got sick, Crys' grandmother got sick, everyday brought some new disaster. It was a horrible month! But then we were blessed with the most beautiful, wonderful little girl you have ever seen and let me tell you it was all worth it!

One final thought on chapter 7, I find it interesting that the people did not like Nephi because when he came preaching, such was his faith that they could not disbelieve his words. That is powerful right there! I cannot even imagine being so full of the Spirit that when you taught people just had to believe you. What an awesome responsibility that must have been! I think Nephi was a counterbalance himself for the man Jacob, the leader of the Gadianton Robbers. Of course that is my speculation again. I just can't help myself. :) Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment