Monday, November 8, 2010

The Sermon at Bountiful

Today I read 3 Nephi 12, which with the exception of a few verses and phrases is the first chapter of the Sermon on the Mount. The Sermon on the Mount always reminds me of King Benjamin's speech to the Nephites right before he died. He too was trying to get them to live a higher law.

I always find it a little sad that the Israelites were not prepared to live the higher law when they came out of Egypt. They had such a hard time with just the basics that the Lord took away the higher law and left them with just the bare bones, the 10 commandments, and with a law of daily statutes and ordinances to perform to keep them on the right path. It saddens me even further when I look around at our world and see the same problem, a country, a world full of people that cannot handle the higher law and won't even live the bare minimum.

I will admit though that in order to fully live the higher law you have to have a really good handle on yourself and your emotions. I have trouble with it sometimes but so does everyone just about. It's really hard to not let yourself be caught up in arguing at times, or to get into verbal fights. It's extremely difficult to not get bent out of shape about in justice in this life, but we have to let those things go and learn to forgive those that trespass against us. One of the reasons it is so hard is because we have to come to terms that we are meant to be an example here in this life.

Perhaps my favorite, and least favorite verses in this chapter is the same verse, verse 14, "a city set on a hill cannot be hid". I like it because it is very true, if you are living the gospel, it is impossible to hide yourself and not be noticed. Totally impossible! It's one of my least favorite verses for the same reason, it's totally true and you are always on display once people know you are different and are LDS. I remember on my last day at my last job as I was leaving for the last time and driving home I was sitting at a stop light just kind of thinking about my life and what lay ahead of me. I said a little prayer of thanks for all that has gone before and a prayer of pleading that I can do my best always. I had a very clear impression from Heavenly Father of this verse and that my time of preparation has passed and everything that had gone on before was for this and my time of training was over. I then had this exact verse come into my mind and it was made clear to me that whatever happened to me from now on, it was meant to make me grow so I could be an example to those around me.

Let me tell you at the time it was actually kind of scary, and a little frustrating. Those who know me well will understand that I hate being the center of attention. I HATE it! But I will never turn down callings that force me to do things I'd rather not do, because like most of you all, I gave up my agency to God when I chose to be baptized and go through the temple that first time. Saying no to God and one of His chosen servants isn't an option anymore. I used my agency to make a choice and to give it back to Him who gave it to me. Like most of you have. So I have learned to live with my uncomfortableness and do what the Lord needs of me. So far it has been very tame and that worries me. Because I know something is in store for me at some point that I will not enjoy but the Lord will ask of me. And like Nephi before me, I must obey.

I wonder if the Nephites realized that the reason the Savior told them not to look after a woman to lust after her, and not to get angry with their brethren is because thoughts lead to actions? I wonder if they really understood that yes it does matter what they think and yes they need to banish certain thoughts as soon as they enter into one's mind? I wonder if some people in our day and age realize that? That is indeed the reason. Remember, having the thought is not a sin, DWELLING on the inappropriate thoughts, no matter what they are, is the sin. Although honestly I personally feel that if you are married, be ye man or woman, and you look at someone to "check them out" that is inappropriate too. Once you are married all interactions with persons of the other gender should be kept strictly appropriate. Because the moment you take that first step into inappropriate land, that is when the trouble starts because it is now so much easier to take the next step and so on. It really is a downward slope.

But we also need to learn this control for another reason. If we hope to be exalted someday we need this self-control. Think about it, does Heavenly Father look after women to lust after them? No, and what's more all is before Him, so He see's women when they are changing and in the shower and at all other points. If He did not have perfect control that can be a real problem! This is why if we hope to be as He is some day, we must have this perfect control also. But remember, it's a step by step process and we will get there only with His help. But most of the time He won't just offer it to us, we have to ask for it. I hope you have the presence of mind to ask and mean it. It is a hard thing to ask for because you have to really want it, and be sure of what you are asking. But He will help you when you are ready, and He can even help you to BE ready. He did me, he sent me my wife! :) Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment