Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Sober Child

Today I read Mormon 1, where we actually start to read the account of the Nephites during the lifetime of Mormon. Right off the bat we learn that things are not that great for the Nephites but that Mormon is, much like the Stripling Warriors of Helaman, a sober child. So we already know that he has all the qualities that go along with being sober that we have discussed in the past. He was in control of himself and as is made clear by Amaron's decision, he was a child who could be trusted with all the scriptures of the entire Nephite civilization at only 10 years old!

I think that is really amazing actually. I have seen many a 10 year old male in my time and even was one once and I can't think of a single one that at age 10 I would have entrusted the history and scriptures of an entire civilization to. Most 10 year olds are not what I would describe as being sober. They are not in control of their emotions and perhaps what's even more interesting to me about Mormon is he was so observant. He is writing this chapter and most of chapter 2 in the past based on what he remembers. Think back to when you were 10 years old or even 11 years old. Would you have remembered that your people went to war? Perhaps, but would you have remembered that your people put 30,000 troops in the field? Probably not.

But we quickly realize that Mormon was no ordinary child. We was well suited to the task given him. We are told that at the age of 15 he saw the Savior and conversed with Him and as Mormon puts it, he tasted of His goodness. I am willing to bet that at least 99% of the people reading this have not personally seen the Savior and conversed with Him, but Mormon was righteous enough at age 15 that he was given that tremendous blessing. We've talked a lot about living the gospel and about being happy living the gospel. I promise you that no matter how good you are at living the gospel, if you are not happy living it, you would not enjoy a personal visit from the Savior. He's too good and it's like being around the most righteous person you have ever met in your life times 2 at least. And at age 15 Mormon had achieved what some of us never achieve in this lifetime or ever, a genuine happiness and peace living the gospel.

I find it interesting that Mormon was forbidden at this time to preach unto the people of Nephi. I believe that was done for his protection. We already know that the Nephites do not like being preached to by prophets, can you imagine what might have happened if they started hearing it from a 15 year old boy? Think about the last time you were doing something you weren't supposed to do. Perhaps you lost your temper, or whatever, if you have children or know children think about the last time they reminded you that you are doing something you shouldn't be doing in the middle of you doing it. Did it turn out well? Of course not, the natural man in each of us took over and it made it 10 times worse than if the child had said nothing at all. Can you imagine what might have happened to poor Mormon if he had started preaching to a blood thirsty nation like the Nephites and telling them that they need to repent? I bet he would not have survived a month!

That is my own thought and theory of course, but I feel pretty strongly that it was for his own protection that he was forbidden to preach to the Nephites. I do feel a great sense of sadness that Mormon had to live during that time period though. Having found such true joy in living the gospel as we know he must have had, to live in such a time when sin was in abundance, it must have been very horrible for him and made him very sad. I feel bad that he had to endure such sin in front of his face nonstop. I know I sometimes get disgusted with the sin that I see in front of me on a daily basis and it is nothing compared to what Mormon was called upon to endure. But we will see more on that later on in the book of Mormon.

Once again we find someone who is sober standing out amongst the multitudes of people in the land, much like we stand out in our day and age as being sober if we are living the gospel. As we learn to love living the gospel and keeping the commandments we too can taste the goodness of Jesus and learn to be more like Him and find true joy in the journey. Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I think Ammoron would not have perceived that 10-year-old Mormon was quick to observe if Mormon hadn't already begun talking about what he was observing and making "and thus we see" statements. I bet he was already doing that.

    As for when Mormon was forbidden to preach, I wrote a post on that here:

    http://scriptoriumblogorium.blogspot.com/2009/06/forbidden-to-preach.html

    ReplyDelete