Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Intervention of God

Today I read Helaman 2, which is a very short chapter and actually talks mostly about what we discussed yesterday about the Gadianton Robbers. However, there is one other part of this chapter that stands out to me.

I find it interesting that the servant of Helaman just happens to have been out at night, had a proper disguise, found out the robbers plans, just happens to have met Kishkumen on his way into the judgment seat and just happens to have been at the right place at the right time so many times.

I know we have talked in the past about God stepping in and taking a more active role in His children's lives and the power of righteous living so I won't belabor the point and this will be a short post today because there is not a lot to say on it. But as I have mentioned before, I stopped believing in coincidence many, many years ago. I do not think it is a coincidence that the servant of Helaman, the keeper of the records of the church and a very righteous man, was in the right place at the right time, not once, but twice to save the life of Helaman.

Now, of course just because Helaman was a righteous man is not the reason he was spared. We saw in Alma 14 how the Lord allows the wicked to persecute, and even kill the righteous at times. However, the prophets have also taught that a righteous individual will not die before their time, before they have accomplished all the Lord wants them to. So when a righteous man or woman dies we can rejoice knowing that their work is finished and that they have moved on to a place of rest according to Alma.

As I do not think there are any coincidences in this life, the best thing to do is to live a righteous life, find out what it is the Lord would have you do, and do it! That is truly the best insurance on remaining in this life the longest, which most of us quite enjoy I am sure. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment