Thursday, October 14, 2010

Astonished beyond Measure

Today I read Helaman 3, a very interesting chapter. This chapter marks the start of the migration of the Nephite people, or some of them anyway, to the land Northward and it specifically mentions that the people in the land northward dwelt in houses of cement of tents. That would be a really interesting explanation for why the Indians were at one with nature if it stemmed from the fact that they were trying to let every tree grow from the beginning.

Nevertheless we have already talked about this and about my thoughts on it. We are also introduced to Nephi and Lehi for the first time in this chapter, with Nephi filling in the judgment seat after Helaman dies. The interesting part to me from this chapter has always been, the part where it talks about the fact that so many people joined the church that it astonished their priests and teachers beyond measure.

Now there is definitely a joke here that it is not hard to astonish 14 - 17 year old boys, but of course Mormon is not referring to the Aaronic priesthood offices of teachers and priests. No more bad jokes I promise. I think this has to do with the principle of opposition in all things. The Gadianton robbers were starting to come back into the picture and were causing trouble it says, but the government was not aware of them at this time.

I also think it had a lot to do with the disposition of the members of the church at this time. Mormon records that the saints were plagued in particular with pride because of their wealth and the prosperity that they had enjoyed during this time of peace. I've been listening to the most recent General Conference talks as I drive around lately and I heard President Uchtdorf's talk on Pride that he gave in the Priesthood session of conference. It was much akin to President Benson's famous talk on Pride he gave in 1989, in fact President Uchtdorf even referenced that talk several times.

Pride truly is the "original sin" which caused the downfall of Satan and caused him to be cast out of God's presence. It especially bothers me because I see it on an everyday basis in the form of selfishness. I work in the Customer Service world and it sickens me how selfish people in America have become. It is also disturbing at the apparent lack of control, or perhaps worse, lack of concern over people's emotions. I do not understand how people can behave the way they do and look themselves in the eye in the mirror at the end of the day. It just boggles my mind.

But it's all the sin of pride, of putting one's self above everyone end everything else. And it's honestly disgusting to watch and saddening to see. It really does baffle me to see where this is coming from. I can kind of understand why the rising generation has this problem, because they have been handed everything they could ever want on a silver platter with little to no work involved. But what gets me is the people in the generation before me and in my generation that are this way because I KNOW they were not raised this way. But they have allowed pride to creep in, have forgotten the lessons they were taught and have believed all this garbage that the world feeds them that they do in fact deserve whatever it is they want.

How much better we would all be if we all looked at one another as our brother or sister and acted that way? How much nicer would life be if we all cared about each others well being and looked out for one another. The 1950's may have had its share of problems, but I sure do wish we could get back to that sense of community and fellowship that I am told existed. I really do long for those "good old days". Sadly though, as all who have searched the scriptures know, it's only going to get worse. And as I have said before, that is why it is up to us to be a light for all to see and a "city set on a hill". As we do what is right we sill start standing out more and more and it is up to us to not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment