Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day to Day Observances

Today I read Alma 58 which ends the letter from Helaman to Moroni about his efforts in the land. When I began reading this chapter I thought for sure the Spirit was going to lead me to talk about the humility of Helaman. That was what I remembered most about this chapter was the fact that even though Helaman and his armies were suffering hunger to the point of starvation, he did not complain about his circumstances.

However, in the last part of the chapter, I read a verse about the stripling warriors and was moved by the Spirit upon reading it. It is the second to last verse, verse 40 and it says that the stripling warriors were "strict to remember the Lord their God from day to day". I think that phrasing is simply wonderful!

What a great way to live your life. It is amazing to me personally. I receive strength by having my wife around, I really do. I find it so much easier to live the commandments, especially the ones I have a challenge with. And having my newborn daughter around only strengthens that resolve in me. So now that I am forced to spend a week without them, I find myself being lethargic "slow to remember the Lord [my] God". Yet I had an experience yesterday that I would like to share.

As I sat down to read my scriptures yesterday afternoon after arriving home, I was being tempted quite sorely to do things that are contrary to the commandments of God, such as watch a rated R movie. The temptations were getting stronger and usually I am not tempted by such things because my wife is around or my daughter is. But they are not here so the temptations were getting worse. I said my prayer to begin my scripture study, and I cannot pinpoint when it happened, but by the time I was done writing yesterday's entry, all of the temptations which had beset me yesterday were completely gone!

I think this phrase stands out to me so much is because I too am trying to be strict in my remembrance of the Lord my God day to day, and I am trying to gain strength from it. The phrasing of the scripture and the recent talk by Elder Bednar in my stake of words in scriptures being important begs the question, what is the difference being daily remembrance and strict remembrance? I personally think that the term "strict" becomes involved when it is a conscious choice we make.

We've all had those periods in our lives where we are just going through the motions. Where, yes we are reading our scriptures everyday, but we are only doing it because we know we are supposed to. Where we pray but our prayers lack faith. And so many more things. I think that in those days, we can be said to be remembering our God day to day. However, think of the difference in your life when you made a conscious choice to really do the things you know you should be doing. I can tell you all that doing this blog and has made a HUGE difference in my life and I NEVER "forget" to read my scriptures anymore. I am still working on the rest of my life and getting it to where I want it to be, but in the area of scripture study, I think I am strict in my remembrance of the Lord my God everyday.

I'll share one final thing with you all today. I remember not long after getting married, as my wife's innate "goodness" began to rub off on me and I began to clean up my act, I was saying my prayers one day. As I was praying I made a choice to ask Heavenly Father something. I asked Him what I can do to increase my spirituality in my personal life. I believe that first time I asked, He led me to understand how I should be reading my scriptures every day. And so I listened and my spirituality grew again. Eventually though, I hit another plateau. So, remembering what happened last time, I asked Him again and I believe that was the time He told me to write in my journal everyday.

This pattern has continued for the past 2 and 1/2 years. Every time I reach a plateau in my spirituality, I ask God what I can be doing better to improve. And every time I have asked, I have gotten and answer. And every time I have gotten an answer, I have put it into effect and it has worked tremendously in my life. The last time, I didn't even have to ask, God knew the thoughts and intents of my heart and knew that I was reaching another plateau and needed help. So He directed me to do this blog. I can't help but wonder what He will have me do next when I finish climbing this hill I am on and reach the plateau above. What will He direct me to do to reach that next mountain top and get a little closer to Him. I truly don't know yet, but I know I will do it. And I know I will be better for it. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment