Friday, April 17, 2015

Sometimes We Just Have to Follow the Savior and Not Know Where We are Going

Today I read 1 Nephi 8 which is Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life.  A couple of things stood out to me as I read this chapter today.  The first was that when Lehi found himself in the dreary waste he saw a figure in a white robe that bade him follow.  But even though he was following the Savior, he was still shrouded in darkness.  This really hit home to me today as I am trying to make a very important life decision with my family that will literally change the course of our lives.  And like most decisions, I cannot see the end from where I stand.  I have to have faith that while I follow the Savior and involve Him in my decision making, He will guide me to the right place.  Just like with Lehi, even though he was doing the right thing by following the Savior, he still didn't see more than a few steps in front of himself.  Sometimes we have to put it all aside and just trust in the Lord that He will guide us when we allow Him to lead us. 

The second thought I had was, what is the purpose of this vision that Lehi was given?  In the book of 1 Nephi until this point, every vision that Lehi had been given was either for the direct benefit of his family, such as going to get the brass plates and getting Ishmael's family, or for the benefit of those around him such as the commandment to preach to the people at Jerusalem.  But this vision, did it really benefit his family?  Or was it entirely for our benefit in the latter days?  I'm not sure.  It is very possible that Nephi and his people studied this vision as part of their scripture reading during their day, but it is just as possible that this vision was given to Lehi for one purpose only; so that we would have it in the Book of Mormon for OUR benefit in this time.  It's one of those questions I will have to put on the back shelf until I meet the Savior face to face and can ask Him.  But I do know that we do have it now and it would benefit us greatly to study it and to learn the lessons we can from it.  Otherwise, the condemnation is on our heads.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment