Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sexual Sin and Serving God no Matter What

Today I read Genesis 39 the very famous chapter concerning Joseph's flight from Potiphar's wife. It always saddens me when I hear stories of a wife, or husband for that matter, has no regard for their spouse. I say this because anyone who is willing to have sexual relations with someone who is not their spouse is not thinking of their spouse but in fact only thinking of themselves. In the March Ensign, I read an article about keeping appropriate online relationships in check. In the article it mentioned that the woman had made the mistake little by little and that when she realized the danger, it was "too hard" to stop the inappropriate relationship. This is an instance of the person having no consideration for their spouse. If she had been more concerned with her relationship with her husband, she would have run the other way, as Joseph does in this chapter, no matter how painful it might have been and no matter what her friend might have thought.

It is said by some that sexual transgression is the ultimate betrayal, and it certainly does hurt. I once had a girlfriend that decided to pursue a relationship with another person before ending our relationship. It was one of the worst emotional pains I have ever endured. I even went as far as accusing her of hating me and that if she truly cared about me she would not have treated me in such a despicable way. It took many months for me to get over her betrayal and many years before I was able to trust another woman with my affections. I don't care what your reasons are, there is never a reason for adultery.

I have always, even as a young child, felt bad for Joseph. He had an extremely hard life. As far as the scriptures make us aware, he only ever tried to do what was right and while for the most part it all turned out alright, but he had such hardships to endure. Joseph must have been a truly special person to be patient and still rely upon the Lord. Of course, we are reading some into the story, we are not told that he endured it all well. It could very well be that the reason he was in prison for so long was because he had to be patient and learn some things. I personally don't think that is the case, but in all honesty we really don't know.

I always have thought the best of Potiphar too. I personally don't think that Potiphar believed his wife that Joseph tried to rape her. I personally think that Potiphar understood what kind of woman his wife was and knew what kind of man Joseph was. I can only imagine what kind of punishment a slave would receive for attempted rape but something tells me that prison was a very kind punishment for such an "offense". Perhaps Potiphar was a harsh man though and God softened his heart, but since the scriptures will typically tell us when such is the case, I like to think that Potiphar was kind to Joseph.

The one thing I have always taken away from this story is that as long as you follow God's commandments, no matter what happens to you in this life, it will turn out well for you in the end. This life can be challenging and it can be painful in more ways than one. But if we are true and faithful to God's commandments and follow what He has asked us to do, we will be cared for in the long run. We may not enter into God's rest in this life, but eventually we will have His rest and will have the peace of mind in knowing that in all things we served Him and will be exalted. All we have to do, is follow God in all things. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment