Thursday, March 8, 2012

Abraham Commanded to Sacrifice Isaac

Today I read Genesis 22 where Abraham is commanded to sacrifice Isaac. There's not a whole lot to say about this that hasn't already been said in General Conference. It was to teach Abraham about himself that he would do anything the Lord required of him. As I was reading the chapter today though I couldn't help but wonder, what did Abraham tell Sarah? I don't know a whole lot about how men treated women back then and it is a common thing to do to impose how things are right now onto times and events of the past, but I cannot help but wonder if Abraham told Sarah about what was going to happen? And if he did, what would she have thought? Would he have had to convince her that they had to listen to the Lord? I don't know but I know if the Lord today told me that I had to sacrifice my daughter, I would have to talk it over with my wife.

I could say more on this subject, but what else could I say that hasn't already been said far more eloquently by the General Authorities of the church? I'm sure one day when we meet him, if we meet him, we will be able to ask Abraham all about this experience he had. I shudder to think how I would react if the Lord came down and asked me to sacrifice my daughter like this. It would destroy my whole world. I'm not sure I'm strong enough for that. But thankfully God does not tempt us above that which we are able to bear so hopefully I will not have to be tried like that. My trials that I DO have are hard enough some times. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment