Sunday, March 4, 2012

Abraham and the Angels

Today I read Genesis 18 where 3 angels come to visit with Abraham and Sarah and promise them children. It is hard to quantify miracles and to say which one is more miraculous than others. For example, walking on water is very impressive but I can understand how it could be done theoretically since we have animals, namely water striders, that are able to replicate it. Miraculous healing, I can understand how it might be accomplished. Protecting the righteous from wild animals and fiery furnaces, I can understand it. But miracles such as multiplying food stuffs, the parting of the red sea, and making a woman who has gone through menopause fertile again are truly miraculous to me.

It was miraculous to Sarah too as when she heard it, she laughed in herself at the idea. I don't think she disbelieved the angel, but I think she wondered how it was possible. If I were in that position, I'm not sure I would be able to keep myself from wondering the same thing. I think i would wonder how it was possible. Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, wondered the same thing when he was told he would have a son in his old age. It is interesting to me that in both cases the answer was the same, that nothing is impossible for the Lord. And truly it is not, the Lord can accomplish anything.

The rest of the chapter the Lord tells Abraham of His plans to destroy the city of Sodom. Abraham bargains with the Lord that if there are righteous in the city will God spare it. At first Abraham starts off with 50 righteous but then, he goes all the way down to 10 righteous. Everytime I read this, it makes me think that Abraham knew the true nature of Sodom and did not think that the Lord would be able to find more than 10 righteous people in the city of Sodom. I also think that Abraham feared for Lot, knowing that his family lived in Sodom and I have wondered in the past if 10 was the number of Lot's family. Regardless of the reason, the Lord agrees to spare the city if 10 righteous can be found.

Abraham's heart is definitely in the right place as he is concerned for the righteous being destroyed with the wicked. He is concerned for his neighbors. Still, I do wonder if maybe he was just concerned for Lot and his family, as he should be, they are his family. We should all be concerned for our families, immediate and extended and their well being, whether they believe as we do or not. It is our duty to care for them and look out for them. If everyone did that, there would be little to no poor among us. What a world that would be! Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you point out that the lesson is that nothing is impossible for the Lord. That is one of my favorite characteristics of God. That He can do absolutely anything.

    ReplyDelete