Friday, September 2, 2011

The Saints had all Things in Common

Today I read Acts 5, which is a very interesting chapter. In the first part of the chapter we have the story of Ananias and his wife, Sapphira, two early Christians who did not like living the law of consecration. During the early days of the church, the Saints had all things in common. This means that the Saints would take what they owned and give it to the church, namely the Bishop of their ward or congregation. Well, Ananias and his wife sold some of their land and instead of giving it to the church they hid some of the money and lied about how much they sold the land for.

Now when Ananias came to turn in his money, the Spirit told Peter what he had done and he confronts Ananias about it and he falls down dead at Peter's feet. It is sad really, the scriptures don't elaborate on why this married couple conspired to lie to God about their offering, but I guarantee it was not for a very good reason. There is no reason good enough in the world to justify lying to God. For one thing, He already knows that you are lying. He knows the intents of your heart and knows your thoughts. But most people who try and deceive God don't think in those terms I think. I'm not sure why they do the things they do, but I don't know if they really believe they are putting one over on God or not.

I know when I have done something wrong, I'm fully aware that God knows about it, it's just that because I have made the mistake and have sinned against Him, I was not in a frame of mind to care about it. But I was well aware of what I had done and that God knew it too. But because I had done what was wrong, I had put my will ahead of His, it didn't matter. It is not a good frame of mind to be in. I can't even imagine being in a frame of mind like King Lamoni and the Lamanites though. Yesterday we read as a family Alma 18, where Ammon teaches King Lamoni about God and Mormon tells us in his abridgement that despite Lamoni believing in God, he believed that anything he did was right and ok. What a backwards philosophy. There is a right and a wrong and everyone is born knowing it. It is the Light of Christ that is in all of us. We can dampen it through consistent wrong choices and unfortunately if we are given a bad enough example of it, we can have it driven out of us at a very young age.

I have often wondered why Ananias and his wife were killed for their sin. I believe it is because they were robbing from the poor essentially and there are few things God takes as seriously as He does the care for the poor and needy. I may be wrong but that has always been my thought on it. When Peter confronts Ananias, he falls down dead at Peter's feet. About an hour later his wife comes looking for him and Peter gives her a chance to do the right thing and asks if that is all the money the land sold for and when she answers yes, she also dies. It is a sad story really but one they brought on themselves. If they had just done as was asked of them, they would have been alright and would have had no problem.

The rest of the chapter focuses on the Apostles and some of them were thrown into prison for preaching the word of God. An angel lets them out of the prison and commands them to go preach in the temple. The next morning the jailer looks for them and can't find them in the prison despite the doors all being locked and closed and the guards still at their posts. When the Apostles are found at the temple they are brought before the Sanhedrin again who ask the Apostles didn't they just tell them that they should stop preaching Jesus Christ to the people. The Apostles again stand up to them with boldness and declare that they need to fear God more than man.

While the leaders are deciding what to do, one of their own stands up and reminds them of a few radicals in years past that started a movement among the people who, when the leaders were killed, it all came to naught and gives great counsel that luckily for them, the Sanhedrin listens to. His advice was that if this movement was that of a man, it will fizzle out in a little while because Jesus is dead. But if it really is of God, then nothing they could ever do would stop it and they need to tread carefully lest they are fighting God. The Sanhedrin find this good counsel and so let the Apostles go after they are physically punished, or beaten. The Apostles go away rejoicing that they are counted worthy to suffer in His name. Clearly not all the leaders of the Jews were the zealots that those who put Jesus to death were.

I find it really funny, very funny in fact, that when Peter accuses them of killing Jesus they tell him not to lay Jesus' death on their heads, when just a few months, perhaps years, prior, when Jesus was crucified these same men told Pilate that His death would be on them. How soon they forget. I don't think I would have lasted very long in those days if I would still be the man I am here and now then. I can't abide hypocrites like that and I probably would have been put to death very quickly. But these are my days and I rejoice to be worthy to be His disciple and to show forth my testimony each and everyday by my actions. I hope you also recognize what a privilege it is to live in this day and age where we can share the Gospel without fear of retribution. Are you taking advantage of this gift? Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment