Friday, September 23, 2011

Don't Be Apologetic for Believing in what is Right

Today I read Acts 26 where Paul stands before King Agrippa and testifies of the things he has seen and done. He tells him that all he has preached was preached before him by all the holy prophets and King Agrippa utters his famous line that Paul almost persuades him to be a Christian. The force of Paul's testimony to make King Agrippa say that must have been strong indeed, almost palpable.

I've always thought of Paul as being forceful and unapologetic about his testimony and the things he has experienced. The way we all should be. I don't think he was overbearing and pushy. I think that if he was asked to leave he would, but I can't imagine him making any excuses or apologies about who he was or what he believed in. It is how we all should be, no matter what church we believe in.

In this day and age of fear of offense and so called tolerance, it is all too easy to be apologetic about our beliefs and what we will and won't do. However we have nothing to be ashamed of. We have a belief and a hope in Christ and that is noble and commendable, no matter what our government or others might have us believe. There is nothing wrong with believing in God and living our religion. We should not even feel the need to apologize for who we are and what we believe. Fortunately I have never come face to face with such bigotry but we hear and read about it in the news. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a little blown out of proportion. I tend to only hear about in places like Los Angeles or New York City. Of course I have personally never felt drawn to those places ever, even though I spent 2 years in one of those cities.

I sometimes wonder how people can feel offended by talk about God or the sight of a cross or any other reason why supposed atheists give for being offended by Christians. I have never once felt offended by a Buddhist or a Muslim performing their rites of worship. Now, I think I would be offended by a Satanist performing their rites, but I think every non-Satanist would be. That so called religion almost seems designed to offend. Given who its creator is, I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly the case. I digress though. The point I am making is that we should be proud of who we are. We should feel proud of what we stand for and should stand up for what is right in this world.

Just as our leaders have told us in the most recent General Conferences, just because our country mistakenly is trying to change what is morally right and correct with laws, does not change that it is wrong. I have many friends who are homosexuals and choose to live that lifestyle. I am still friends with them and they are all very wonderful people. But I do not support them in being married because marriage is between a man and a woman as God has decreed it. You can try and take off the phrase in God we Trust off of our money, but it won't change the fact that 80% of the country believe in God and trust in Him. Just because it is not popular, doesn't make it right, or wrong as the case may be. If they are truly honest with themselves, everyone knows what is right and what is wrong.

We are all born with the light of Christ inside of us. If we have not squelched it, we know instinctively what is right. Just because the Supreme Court of America has decreed, illegally I might add, that it is legal for a woman to have an abortion does not make it right. Most of the nation agrees with that. If we are ever going to stem the tide of sin we have to be unapologetic about what is right and what we stand for. We do not need to go out of our way to offend, but we don't need to apologize for our beliefs either. We have God on our side and as I stated if those who believe otherwise are truly honest with themselves, they know they are wrong. But they have been living a lie for so long they have dimmed if not killed the Light of Christ inside of them. Our purpose is not to offend, but to be a light unto the world. Be a witness for what is right. You can make a difference. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment