Friday, September 16, 2011

Paul and His Companions are Again Protected by the Law

Today I read Acts 19, where Paul goes to Ephesus and finds those who have been baptized but have not been sufficiently taught the truth. The reason I say this is Paul asks them if they had received the Holy Ghost and they reply that they have note even heard that there was such a thing as the Holy Ghost. Paul, with probably no small amount of confusion, asks them to what then were they baptized? To which they replied that they were baptized after the manner of John's baptism. Paul then takes the opportunity to teach them about the Gospel and baptizes them again and this time gives them the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I have often wondered through multiple readings of this chapter, just who taught these men the Gospel and who baptized them. Because the person did not do a complete job of it at all.

It reminds me when I first came back from my mission I had a friend that had some questions about the church and what I had been doing for the past few years. I remember inviting him to hear the missionary lessons and he politely declined but wanted me to explain certain things to him about it. I started and tried to briefly go over the plan of salvation and I remember it was very difficult and not at all like I remembered it being in the mission field. I eventually came to the conclusion that I was the wrong person to teach him. I of course could answer his questions and bear my testimony, but I was no longer set apart to teach the Gospel. Sadly I had more than that one experience before it really clicked in my mind. I eventually got the message but it was a little while before it sunk in and I accepted it.

The rest of the chapter is again about Paul and his companions causing an uproar among the people with their preaching. It always seems to start when they encroach on someone's money earning potential. Until they start costing someone money, the populace are quite content to just let the missionaries do their thing. But the second it costs them money, suddenly Paul and his companions are dissenters and must be silenced, etc etc. The people of Ephesus were worshipers of the Greek goddess, Diana. The chief antagonist who has a problem with Paul and his fellows is a man whose occupation is making silver statues of Diana to sell to the people so they can worship her, I guess in their own home. When he finds out that Paul is preaching that there is only one God, he realizes that if this catches on his pocketbook is going to suffer.

He causes and uproar and they grab Gaius and Aristarchus, two of Paul's companions, and take them to the amphitheater and start shouting at them that Diana is the goddess of Ephesus. Again however, I am impressed with the officials of the time. The townclerk stands up and appeases the people who by this point are almost in a frenzy. He tells them that all know that Ephesus worships the great Diana and these things cannot be assailed. Therefore they need to be careful because they have these two men who are not robbers or lawbreakers and at this point aren't even blasphemers against their goddess. He goes on to remind them that there are laws if any man has a grievance against them and they need to be careful because there is no just cause for the uproar they have caused today and in this matter it is those two men who have been wronged.

I guess the reason I am so impressed by these examples of people upholding and using the law to protect the Christians is because it is just such a sharp contrast to how Jesus was treated. When it came to Jesus, all points of the law were blatantly ignored and those men twisted and flat out ignored the law. However so far Paul has been protected by it, and those with him, multiple times. It's very comforting that God is watching over His messengers. He watches over us too and will not let anything happen to us that will not be for our betterment as long as we are righteous. We have no promise if we are not obeying the commandments however. It is our choice. I for one choose to take advantage of His protection and help so I can further His work. It is the key to a much happier life. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment