Sunday, May 1, 2011

Angelic Visitation

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 129. This section has always fascinated me because it is about the detection of angels and devils that pose as angels. I have always wondered what it would be like to have an angel appear to me. I imagine that it would scare me half to death. I do not imagine it would be a fun experience.

It is interesting though that so many people in the early days of the church were having visitations from heavenly beings that the Lord felt it necessary to give this sign and warning to let the members know how they could tell if it was a true angel or a devil in disguise. I often wonder if heavenly messengers have stopped or if we just don’t hear about them anymore? We are often told that such visitations are for the people who receive them and no one else so it would stand to reason that if they were in fact still happening they would not be broadcast, perhaps not even to those closest to the individual. Although if I had one visit me, unless I was specifically told not to, I don’t think I could keep it from my wife.

It also makes me wonder what the Lord needs to tell those persons that have an angel to them that He can’t tell them another way? Or perhaps it is a reward for their faithfulness? I personally don’t know. It also makes me think about Adam and Eve. When they were removed from the Garden of Eden the Lord sent angels to teach and instruct Adam and Eve. I wonder why the Lord did not just speak to them directly? Perhaps it had to do with helping Adam and Eve to develop faith that the Lord would help them? They knew the Lord was there for they had seen Him and talked to Him directly. Perhaps they had to learn to rely on Him in other ways.

I don’t have too much else to say when it comes to angelic visitation so here I will end, but please if you are ever lucky enough to receive such a visitation, remember what the Lord has told us in section 129 to ensure that you are not led astray. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment