Thursday, March 31, 2011

Temples

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 96 where the Lord directs a few of the brethren in making sure that the plot of land where the temple will be built is taken care of, as well as making sure that those who are to serve a mission are cared for. It ends with the Lord telling the brethren to have one of the brethren join the United Order.

This section, while not really pertaining to anything in our day and age since we do not use the United Order anymore, got me thinking about the temple in Kirtland and all temples. When I lived in Kentucky, I lived only about 2 minutes away from the temple. It was wonderful. I had a friend that I would carpool to work with several times a week. In order to get to my house he had to drive past the temple every day. We had several discussions about the temple and Latter-day Saints in general during those car rides.

We as Latter-day Saints, take a lot of flack from others about our temples generally. When a new temple is announced and people who are not fond of the church hear about it, they sometimes make a lot of fuss and can even cause quite a stir about the temple being built in that city. A fun story about the Louisville, Kentucky temple. When it was being built, there was a man who came to Louisville. He apparently goes to all the cities in America where temples are being built, goes to the local churches and gathers people to protest the temple being built with him. This man actually told the Stake President in Louisville, that he was unable to get any of the local churches to protest with him. They all said that they had liked the Latter-day Saints and did not desire to protest the temple being built. He had to bring in protesters from another city. He actually gained a bit of respect for the Saints in Louisville.

I've honestly never understood why people protest temples being built anyway. Would they protest if Muslims wanted to build a temple in their city, or a synagogue, or a Buddhist temple or any other religious structure for another religion? Now, I know there are the rumors about what goes on in the temples and so some people may protest them through misguidance, but I don't believe for a second that the man who protests all the temples actually believes those rumors. He strikes me as one who knows all too well what actually goes on in the temple.

Temple worship is some of the most wonderful, sacred worship we can do in this life. The last year I lived in Louisville before my wife and I moved, we actually were able to serve as temple workers. It was a wonderful opportunity and I'm really glad I had a chance to do it. It was a lot of fun to be able to serve all those who were coming in to worship and serve God. If you have never had the opportunity to serve as a temple worker, if your situation allows it, I would suggest you talk to your Bishop about it. It is a very worthwhile opportunity.

I've been lucky in my life that I have never met anyone who disliked Latter-day Saints, except on my mission, and most of the people I have met in my life get to know me as Fred first and then find out I am a Latter-day Saint later, which I think helps. Although there was a couple of instances as a teenager that my friends were fine with me because they met me that way, but their parents heard that their child had a Mormon friend and didn't like it so when I met them I took some heat. One friend of mine, when I met her mother, she came out on to the porch, looked me up and down and then said, "Well you certainly don't look evil". But I have been fortunate that it is a rarity. But I think most people that we come across in this life as members are going to be more curious about temples as opposed to hostile about it. I would urge you if you have non-member friends, which we all do, that if you ever have an opportunity to invite them to a temple open house, please do so. It is a wonderful spiritual experience and we have them for a reason.

It is a true blessing to have temples. The Lord has allowed us to serve with Him as Saviors on Mount Zion to those we perform those sacred ordinances for. Please take advantage of it as often as you can and share what you can of it with those of your acquaintance who may be curious. Remember, a lot of people are searching for the truth and don't know where to find it. Don't hoard the truth, it is meant to be shared with all. And it brings great joy to both the hearer and the speaker alike. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment