Monday, March 28, 2011

Children are a Fulness of Joy

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 93, a really fun section if you ask me. The Lord in this section tells us some things about himself, and about the universe. I always like learning new things, like I have mentioned before now, and that is I why I really like this section. The Lord teaches us some good things about the nature of the universe in this section, not the least of which is he lets us know that Isaac Newton was correct that matter cannot be created nor destroyed, but that the elements are eternal. I love the idea that God is bound by laws too.

One of the greatest thing about children, to me, is their love of learning. They want to know everything and they love to learn new things. I love to watch my daughter as she explorers the world around her and if you take her to someplace new like the mall, it is pure joy to see her little head whip back and forth and she tries to take it all in. I can't wait until she is a little older so that I can start to teach her things and she can really understand it. Right now I try and teach her certain things but she doesn't really comprehend it. I'm especially looking forward to teaching her the gospel and helping her learn to love the scriptures. I'm really looking forward to helping her find the Savior in this life.

I once heard it said that having children is considered a fullness of joy by our Heavenly Father. In the verse where the Lord tells us that the elements are eternal He tells us that only when our spirits and the elements are inseparably connected can we have a fulness of joy. Having received all the saving ordinances prior to having children, I can agree, that the most joy I have had in this life would be with my wife as we brought our daughter into this world and watched my wife hold our baby girl for the first time. Nothing else even comes close. I wonder if that is the way our Heavenly Father sees us? Given the way He refers to children, I would think He does. That is why I cannot understand why some people treat their children like a burden and go as far as to abuse them. It makes me shudder to even think on it.

But we have responsibilities to our children beyond providing for their physical and emotional needs. Just as the Lord will hold us responsible for who we might have helped save if we had been righteous and had opened our mouth and shared the gospel with them, He will hold us even more responsible if we do not teach our children the gospel. He tells Frederick G. Williams in this section that he is under condemnation because he has not taught his children the right way to go and has not taught them the gospel. It is up to us to make sure that our children are taught appropriately and that they receive the spiritual education that all children need to know in order to return to live with our Heavenly Father.

As we teach our children the everlasting gospel, we will have that everlasting joy in them that our Heavenly Father speaks of. That is the way we can gain the most happiness and satisfaction in this life. For those of you who have children, make sure you are teaching them properly so that they know where to look for their salvation. For those of you who do not have children yet, just wait, be patient on the Lord and they will come in His own due time, when He knows you are ready to teach them the right things. And it will be the most rewarding experience of your life, to just be around them. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment