Sunday, September 26, 2010

Labor exceedinly for the Welfare of your people

Today I read Alma 48, which is where most people talk about the character of Captain Moroni and Mormon makes his famous statement about Moroni which we have actually already discussed. The rest of the chapter is about what Moroni is doing to prepare his people and the fact that it is no sin to protect your lives and those of your loved ones if you were not guilty of the first offense.

The phrase that stood out to me in today's reading is where is said that Moroni did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his people. And I got to wondering what that means. What does it mean to labor exceedingly for the welfare of your people? I think it all goes back to what the Savior said to the Israelites when he was alive as recorded in Mark 8:35: "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it."

I think it has to do with being in service to our fellow man. Have you ever noticed if you read the 4 gospels, that Jesus never does anything for himself? I mean aside from the normal eating, sleeping and other things the body needs to stay alive, everything else He does is for someone else. There are even recordings of when He was trying to sleep and He'd get woken up, He would go out to the people and minister to them. Have you ever noticed that after his conversion we really don't have any recordings of Alma doing anything for himself beyond bodily needs either? Nor Captain Moroni. Do you see a pattern here?

I remember one time talking to my Dad and he told me a story about a friend of his from many years ago. The friend was apparently starting to lag in his church attendance and not enjoying going to church anymore. So I'm not sure how he got the idea but he decided to stop worrying about himself while at church. He would volunteer for everything, no matter what it was. And he noticed that within a few short weeks, he was looking forward to church each week and was really happy in life in general.

I discovered the same thing years ago. I'm pretty sure I have recorded the story previously but long story short, I realized as a teenager that I was happiest when I was giving service, no matter what the service was. Anytime I notice I'm starting to feel unhappy about something or need a pick me up, I look for opportunities to serve. And that's exactly what this scripture is talking about. It doesn't mean we all have to run out and join the armed forces and protect our lands, although you can do that if you so desire. What it means is to lose our selves for Jesus' sake and for the sake of the Gospel. To live our lives for others, not for ourselves. We need to overcome our own selfishness if we ever hope to live with God again someday. Do you think God does anything for Himself? Well, to be honest I have no idea, but I'll bet the vast majority of what he does is for us, His children.

The Book of Mormon is many, many things to lots of people, but the one thing it is for everyone, is a road map for a happy, successful life. If, as Elder Bednar says all the time, we have eyes to see and ears to hear, we will understand that. Hopefully I have helped point out enough spots where that is true that you all can believe it and understand what we are saying. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want to have a happy life here on this earth, serve others. If you want to overcome depression once and for all, live a life of service to others and forget about yourself. That is the true way to be happy. It's why temple worship feels so good! Because everything you do in the temple except for that first time, is for others. Think about it, ponder it and if you want to know the truth of MY words, pray about it, and you will see I am right! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment