Saturday, September 4, 2010

Blessed is the Name of My God

Today I read Alma 26, a very fun chapter comprised entirely of Ammon glorying in God and the great success they had as missionaries to the Lamanites. This chapter is a good example of the pure joy that comes from feeling the Spirit as strongly as these men did for 14 years.

Any person who has ever served a mission can relate to the pure joy they feel when they see someone they have come to love make positive changes in their life. I remember there was one girl I helped get baptized who went on to serve her own mission and even get married in the temple. I can only recall a few moments in my life that even come close to rivaling those moments when she told me of her plans.

This chapter is perhaps most well known for Ammon boasting in the goodness of God. As we have learned from the late chapters of Mosiah and the early chapters of Alma, Ammon and his brothers were the very vilest of siners and Ammon accutely feels the justice that would have consigned him, his brethren and all those he had come to love to a fate worse than death. But because of the tender mercies of God, such is not their fate.

And thus Ammon is carried away unto boasting in the goodness of his God. I too have felt the urge at times to shout from the rooftops about how wonderful the Gospel is and how wonderful the Atonement of Jesus Christ is and what it can do for us all if we will just allow it to work in our lives. I too feel the urge to shout out blessed is the name of my God.

In some cases it is wonderful what God has blessed us with. It is simply amazing to me what God allows us to participate in with His guidance. By the next time I blog I should be a new Dad with my baby daughter being born into this world. It is amazing to me that God allows us to help with bringing new life into this world. I will have more to report then. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment