Wednesday, September 8, 2010

All Things Denote a Supreme Creator

Today I read Alma 30, the chapter with Korihor. I have always found this chapter interesting, mainly because of the stupidity of Korihor. I mean, if an angel appeared to me and said "go forth and reclaim this people because they have gone after a false God and there is no God", my very first question would be, Ok if there is no God, then who are you and where did you come from? I mean, really, come on now.

I also like this chapter because I like to know what the Nephites knew. For example, this is the chapter that first reveals the Nephites knowledge of Astronomy. Alma cites the fact that the planets have a set pattern as proof that there is a God. Things like that fascinate me.

It also intrigues me that so many people persist in the belief that there is no God when, like Alma says, they have all this proof that there is a God. The sheer regularity of the universe, in every aspect to me, proves that there is a God. The fact that human beings have been born, grow up and and all reach the same milestones within days, months or in some extreme cases, years of each other scream that there is a higher power to me.

I don't understand how people can watch for the past 6000 years and realize that a baby will start walking around 1 years old and will start getting his teeth at the same time as other babies do, and will hit puberty around the same time as everyone else does, and think that we are all just a product of mistakes and happenstances. There's also the fact that hundreds of people testified that they saw the Savior after he was crucified, a feat that if it were repeated in a court of law would be enough to convict ANYONE of any crime. And yet the devil manages to convince people that there is no God. Manages to squash that hope in each of us.

It all boils down to pride. Pride is what makes us think that mankind is the epitome of power and authority, even when we don't have any true power at all. Pride is what makes mankind think they invented all the wonderful things in the world. Pride is what makes us deny a creator. Pride is what makes us ignore all the signs we have been given.

I personally think that not believing in God would be lonely, sad and depressing. I don't know what would drive me to get out of bed in the mornings. But luckily for me, there is a God, and He has revealed himself to mankind so that we may have a hope and know where to look for salvation. It is a comforting thought to know that I will live again, which we have already dealt with on several posts. As we go through this day and all the days we have left on this earth, may we all recognize all the many signs we have been given to know that God is there, and He loves us. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment