Saturday, November 17, 2012

David Cares for Saul's Grandson

Today I read 2 Samuel 9 where David wants to know if there are any of Saul's household left so he can show kindness to them since he was friends with Jonathan.  One of his servants mention that Jonathan had a son that was lame on his feet that is still alive.  David then takes the man under his wing and cares for him for the rest of his days. 

This is true compassion.  I know that David loved Jonathan like a brother, however to take care of the grandson of the man who wanted him dead is truly spectacular.  The more I read about this account however, the more I think that David never hated Saul.  He didn't want to die so that is why he fled, but I don't think there was any resentment in David's heart towards Saul.  I think he regretted that Saul kept trying to kill him, but I think it was more of confusion and sorrow than hatred towards the man who was his king.  I think that is what Jesus meant when he said to love your enemies and do good to them that hate you.  David is a very good example of that and one we an all follow.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment