Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Try, Try Again

Today I read 2 Corinthians 13 where Paul closes his epistle to the Saints in Corinth. He mentions that this is actually his 3rd time writing to them although we only have 2 epistles. However, despite it being his third letter, we can assume that the first one we do not have a record of was fairly similar to the two we do a record of. I don't really think that the Saints would have changed all that much in just a few years. Unless it's for the worse, but you never know.

There is one thing that we can take away from this though, that repetition is the key to getting it right. Think about it. We all know that no matter how hard we try we will never be able to get it right. We will all fail and fall short. Every day we sin. All it takes is one stray thought that you don't banish quite fast enough. One harsh thought towards someone else or a harsh word. And as soon as we do that, it's all over. We are no longer clean and no longer worthy to be in His presence. So how are expected to get it right?

The only way possible is to pick ourselves up off the ground, and try again. It's just like the old adage that when you fall off the horse, you've got to pick yourself up off the ground and try again. I have a little picture with a saying on my desk at work, one of those motivational posters, that talks about courage. It roughly says that sometimes true courage is at the end of the day when you fail saying that you will try again tomorrow. Just yesterday I actually looked at that and it reminded me that no matter how tough it gets in whatever aspect of your life, you always can try again and try and correct whatever mistakes you have make. That is what the Atonement is for. We can correct our mistakes and repent of our sins and try again. And perhaps this time we will get a little farther along before we slip and fall again. The only time we truly fail is when we give up. Otherwise it is just a matter of picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off, and starting back on that path.

We are lucky in that we don't have to do this alone. I am forever happy and grateful that my wife is right there by my side encouraging me to improve and be better than I am. I am a firm believer that we cannot change anyone. We can only encourage and give a reason for wanting to change. And my wife is the best reason I have ever found to change and be better than I am. I want to spend eternity with her by her side. Slowly growing together and becoming one flesh. If there ever was a reason to live the Gospel and keep trying until I get it right, she is it. The prospect of being with my daughter forever and my parents and siblings is a great motivator too.

Just like I have said probably dozens of times, God will give us our true hearts desire. If we don't want to return to live with Him, He will not force us to. But He wants us to. And if we want to be part of a forever family, then we need to live the kind of life He has outlined in the scriptures. That is the only way we will be able to spend eternity with our loved ones. If that is not a motivator for being righteous, what is? Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment