Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Avoid the Spirit of Contention

Today I read Romans 16 where Paul closes his espistle to the Saints in Rome. He spends most of the chapter talking about individuals and sending his greetings to them. His parting words to the Romans were to avoid those who cause disputations among you. This is similar to what Christ told the Nephites when He visited them after He was resurrected. In 3 Nephi 11:29 Jesus taught, "For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another."

Because of this scripture, I have sometimes wondered if any debate is healthy or if they are all wrong in the sight of God. I have always used the measuring stick of attitude. What is my attitude when debating? Am I calm and collected? Or am I upset and frothing at the mouth, so to speak? I think it normally depends on what is being debated, at least for me. If it is something inconsequential, I can be calm and debate it without passion. When it comes to the scriptures and the church, I have a harder time keeping emotions out of it.

When I was a missionary we were always told to avoid debates about certain scriptures, sometimes colloquially referred to as "bible bashing". At the time I did not really understand why we were urged to avoid this practice. But as I continued to serve in my mission it became apparent that these people had no interest in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and were only trying to convince us "poor deluded missionaries" of the error of our ways. And every time no matter how innocently they started out, they always ended up with the spirit of contention and one or both parties becoming hostile. You cannot help someone feel the Spirit to testify of the truth if they have the spirit of contention in them.

It is almost impossible to convert someone by arguing scriptures with them. For one thing, just like Joseph Smith found out almost 200 years ago, people will interpret the same scripture different ways. So to you it may be plain as the nose on your face, but to someone else, they may not interpret the scripture the same way you are. And to them their interpretation is just as plain and they can't understand why you don't see it. The Spirit is what converts people to the truth, and as we have mentioned it is very hard if not impossible to feel the Spirit of the Lord when arguing.

Now sometimes people will ask you for interpretations of scriptures in earnest and not for the sake of arguing. It is perfectly acceptable to talk scriptures and interpretations with these people and help them feel the Spirit. As we become better at living the Gospel and the Spirit becomes our constant companion, we will know who is being earnest and who desire to contend with us and will be able to act accordingly. The Lord desires us to be good witnesses at all times and to represent Him appropriately. As we do so, we will be an instrument in His hands and be able to do much good in His name. Until tomorrow.

1 comment: