Friday, August 5, 2011

To This End Was He Born

Today I read Luke 22, which contains the account of the Last Supper and the Garden of Gethsemane. It's always interesting to me to see what each author focuses on, of course the same could be said of me I suppose. I wonder if live me, the writers of the Gospels were trying to follow the spirit to know which were the important parts to include, or were they trying their best to include it all?

Luke doesn't really add any contributions to the Last Supper beyond the Savior's counsel to the Apostles to purchase swords, considering what was to come and after His resurrection as well, it makes me wonder what was the purpose of the swords. Was it a placebo effect to just help the Apostles feel safer? To my knowledge there are really no records of them ever using the swords, except Peter to try and defend the Savior in the Garden. So I'm really not sure what to make of that counsel.

In the Garden of Gethsemane, the events that most Later-day Saints colloquially refer to as the Atonement took place. The Savior took upon Him all the world's sins, pains, sickness and suffering. What I think of all the entails, all the atrocities mankind has committed over the last 6,000 years I shudder to think what Jesus endured. Luke adds two points that no other author includes. He adds that an angel of the Lord comes to comfort and uplift the Savior. Bruce R. McKonkie suggests that this angel was none other than Michael, or Adam, the first man, who helped the Savior form the world in the beginning. I must say I agree with this as I can think of no one better suited to comfort the Savoir. Luke also records that the Savior bled like it was sweat. In all the depictions of the Savior before Pilate, all show Him in a plain white robe. But the truth is He must have looked ghastly. He most likely would have been covered in dried blood. He rode stained reddish, brown, He must have looked awful. I can only imagine how He was still on His feet after all He'd been through already.

I could go on and on about Jesus' supposed trial and how illegal it was. If I remember correctly there are six reasons why His trail was not valid. But the fact is, He HAD to die. That was the plan, His whole purpose for life. Establishing His church was important, teaching His Gospel was necessary. But He could have had His prophets do that. No, Jesus was born for one reason and one reason only, the Atonement. He was born to die. Yes His trial was a mockery; Yes, the Jews took Him by force in the night like some kind of Gestapo police, but that was the way it had to be. He died so that we could live. Id the life you are living worthy of His sacrifice?
Until Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment