Sunday, August 14, 2011

Nicodemus Stands up for Jesus

Today I read John 7, where Jesus sneaks into Jerusalem and teaches in secret. I just never can seem to get over how the Jews want to kill Christ when He says things they don't like. I mean what a bloodthirsty people! Were all cultures this way back then? Someone comes around saying things you don't like so you try and kill them? I know in America the Nephites when the Anti-Christs came around they would remove them from their village and lands, but they never killed them. So why are the Jews always trying to kill Jesus?

The argument could be made that it was centuries of conditioning. The Law of Moses called for the death of any blasphemer. This was to minimize that amount of dissensions and apostasies among the Israelites. If there was one thing the Israelites in the Old Testament were good at, it was falling away from the truth and going away after strange gods. Even right when God had saved them from the Egyptians and brought them across the Red Sea and Moses was up communing with God getting the law for them, they create a Golden Calf and have an orgy! Talk about your lack of attention span!

But because of this, I assume it was because of this, it made the Jews very, very impatient with those who did not believe the way they did and made them seem very bloodthirsty. Especially the Sanhedrin, I mean they almost come across like organized crime or something. Jesus comes around their turf, saying things he ought not to say and ruining their good life and so He had to go! Sound familiar? I can understand the Jews not believing in Him, and even rejecting Him, but the way they were always trying to put Him to death is just disgusting and very disturbing.

I sometimes wonder if the Gospel of Jesus Christ had been more plain, would the people have accepted it more? What I mean by that is, in this chapter Jesus says that His doctrine is not His but, His who sent Him, meaning of course, Heavenly Father. He then goes on to say that if any man will do His will, he/she shall know if Jesus is speaking of Himself, or for God. In other words, you have to try it and you will know that it is the truth He is speaking. But if Jesus had come down and said here is my doctrine and all you have to do is count to 10 to know it is true, or something else that if very simple, would it have been more accepted? I also wonder if He had overthrown the Romans as they expected Him to do, AND given them the higher law, would they have accepted Him as the promised Messiah, or would they still have accused Him of blasphemy? We will never know but it is a moot point because that is not the way it happened.

It is interesting to me that even today we have a similar system and people still react the same way. To know the Book of Mormon is true, all you have to do is read it and pray about it. That's it! Not some grand thing, not some big thing, just read it, and pray about it. And how many people won't even do that much? And there are people who are openly hostile about it to, when all the Book of Mormon does is ask people to come unto Christ and prove that Jesus IS the Christ. What is there to be hostile about? I have never understood it. But hostile they are. When I was a missionary I was threatened, had objects thrown at me in a hostile manner and cursed at numerous times, all because I was bringing a message of peace and happiness. For no other reason. Those people did not know me personally, they only knew I was a Latter-day Saint missionary and they hated me for it. But so persecuted they them before me, for His sake. I did not mind the persecutions, truthfully they were very, very few compared to some.

One part of this chapter that I like is Nicodemus, the one who visited Christ in the night, apparently has grown some backbone. The Sanhedrin are meeting to discuss how they can put Jesus to death and he speaks up, asking if it is legal to put someone to death without even meeting them or hearing their side of the story. He is immediately shut down and despised for his kind words towards Jesus. But it is nice to note that not everyone in the Sanhedrin hated the Savior and that even then there were those who would stand up for what is right. Today we likewise have the opportunity, some of us daily, to stand up for Him. Are we being brave and standing as a witness for Him in all times and all places? Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment