Friday, February 25, 2011

Missionary Work is our Responsibility

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 61. This section has always made me scratch my head and wonder at the same time. The heading where it says W. W. Phelps sees a vision of Satan riding in power upon the waters. That is just creepy to me. I also find it interesting that the Lord says through John the waters were cursed. It is true that many, many people drown each and every year, however I have never attributed it to the power of the devil.

However, the Lord uses this opportunity to teach His servants a valuable lesson: you are ALWAYS on the Lord's errand. He asks them if it is expedient that they should ride down the river when people on each side of it are perishing in unbelief? How many stories have you heard of missionaries going home who even though their mission is over an they are no longer in their field take the time to teach a missionary lesson on the plane? My wife is one of them. When she was traveling home from her mission she taught 2 first discussions to passengers on the plane she was on.

But, even for those of us not on a full time mission, we promised at our baptism to stand as witnesses for Christ at all times and in all places. To me, like Paul, that means not being ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Now, I probably could, but I don't go shouting from the rooftops that I am a Latter-day Saint. But I also make no secret of the fact that I live different than those around me. When it comes up and is appropriate I make no secret that unlike my co-workers, I do not drink coffee, or tea, or the big one, alcohol. The alcohol statement is pretty funny because these day a lot of people will follow up my statement with, "Yeah I really don't drink much either". I always smile and let them know they misunderstood me, that I don't drink ever and never have and then I smile wider as they look at me incredulously. It never fails to amuse me that people react to me not drinking alcohol the same way as if I said that I sacrifice small animals for amusement. They just can't even wrap their minds around it. It's like I have suddenly become a foreign entity in their minds.

And perhaps I have at that. Peter, at least I'm pretty sure it was Peter, said we are a peculiar people. We are meant to stand out, it's one of the best ways to share the gospel without even having to do very much. Sharing the gospel really is as easy as living it. As most of you will also know, there are few things that feel as good as sharing the gospel with a friend and having them accept it. I've had several friends in my time listen to the missionaries and gain a testimony of the truthfulness of the restored gospel. And as the scriptures say if ou only bring one soul unto the Lord through all your efforts, your job with that person in the kingdom of God will be great. And if your joy will be great with one soul, just imagine how wonderful it will be with many. I had a friend once tell me to not pray for missionary moments, because they are already out there and we just have to take advantage of them. Rather pray that when they come, you will have the courage to open your mouth, and the wisdom to fill it. I've always found it to be good advice and I pass it along to all of you now. Missionary work is very important to the Lord and He will help us if we ask Him for it. Just make sure you are ready when yu do. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment