Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ther Pure in Heart find the Pure in the World

Today I read Titus 1, Paul's letter to Titus. I was impressed by part of the letter at the end where Paul says that to the pure, all things are pure, but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure. I have found this to be very true in my life. I have found that people who are jaded and have a chip on their shoulder think that everyone else has a chip on their shoulder too and that nothing can be as good as it seems.

I have a friend, a very good friend actually, that no matter what someone tells him, he is skeptical. I can recall hearing stories and even watching movies where it says that it was based on true events and he will disbelieve it. Now, I grant you that sometimes, there are those shows and movies that will say they are based on true events and they are not, but even the ones that you can verify are based on a true story he will doubt it. Whereas I am more willing to believe what people tell me, perhaps even a little too willing. Some have even used the word naive. However, I think that looking at the bright side of things and trusting in the goodness of people tends to make things a bit more pleasant in general.

There's an old saying that says whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right. And I think that is what Paul is saying here also. If you think the world is corrupt or if you think the world is good, you are right. You will see what you want to see. There are good and bad people in this world and no matter what we do, we will be around both types of people. But you can either be affected by those that are bad, or you can be affected by those that are good. Which would you rather have? I know I would rather look at the world in a good way and understand that not everyone shares my belief, but I don't have to associate with them. And perhaps my attitude will be infectious, who knows? Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment