Wednesday, July 13, 2011

He Died for Us

Today I read Mark 15, a very straight forward account of the Savior being crucified. I like history and especially like to learn about ancient cultures and what they were like and the people, but the Romans have always sickened me. They always struck me as a people without any civilization despite their cities, and their taking over most of the known, to them, world. Any people that would built the Colosseum and watch people kill each other for sport is just disturbing to me. Although, I guess our culture is not too far off the mark, although we justify it to ourselves that it is fake and entertainment, but the sheer fact that we make such films is disturbing enough.

I bring this up because despite his knowing full well that Jesus was innocent, Pilate still offered Him up to be killed. Now, we talked already about the character of Pilate when we read the account of Jesus being crucified in Matthew, but it still boggles my mind that it would happen. I also wonder why it was necessary for Jesus to die by crucifixion. I know that was the Roman's preferred method of killing people, but He was God and could have influenced them another way. But that is not how God works, I guess He was merely prophesying because He knew that is what the Roman's would invent. You just have to wonder what kind of sick, evil mind would invent something like like a cross to be crucified on. It is one of the most painful methods to killed on since it restricts the airflow and forces you to stand up to take a breath and so once your strength gives out, you will suffocate. Not to mention nailing you to it so you are in pain the entire time.

And our beloved Savior refused to take anything that would dull the pain, or rather dull His wits, and He did it for us. It was this act that ensured that all mankind who ever lived would be resurrected. He did it for love of each one of us. We owe it to Him to be the best we can be each and every day of our lives. Don't let His suffering be in vain, live your life so that when you come to face to face with Him, you can be proud of the life you have led. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment