Monday, July 25, 2011

Ask and you Shall Receive

Today I read Luke 11, the first part of the chapter includes the Lord teaching His disciples how to pray at their request. After teaching them what we now call the Lord's prayer, Jesus tells them that if they ask it shall be given them. You know, all growing up I had assumed that when this particular saying had to do with righteous desires. However, last night I was home teaching one of my families and this very scripture came up and I had a bit of an epiphany. No where does Jesus state that if we ask for righteous things they will be given to us. All He says is that if we ask, we will receive.

Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy. Now, He knows what will bring us ultimate happiness and that is what He wants for us, just as we want what is best for our children here on earth. However, sometimes, our children desire to do the things that are wrong, and that is their choice. And just like with our earthly children, sometimes parents will give their children the wrong things, I once had a friend tell me that his parents on high school graduation night threw him and his friends a drinking party because they would rather the kids be drinking where they could supervise. How sad is that. Why not go out, find a suitable girl and then bring her home for your son to have sex with so that you can supervise that too. I really don't think some people think at all. Nevertheless, I am off topic. No where does the scripture state that if we ask for righteous things God will give them to us. It just says ask and you shall receive. God loves us and wants us to be happy. That means not doing what He knows will be best for us, unless He knows that is our ultimate desire. God will give us what we want because He wants us to be happy. Now, there of course are things He will not give us no matter how much we ask for it. If we have truly evil desires, to rape and murder for example, no matter how much we pray for God to make it happen, what a mockery that would be, He is never going to assist with those desires.

But say if we desire something that is not necessarily in accordance with His plan for us, but still a righteous desire, He will make it happen. When I broke up with my college girlfriend, I was heartbroken and prayed to never again feel this way. God made that happen for me by making any relationship I tried to have with a girl beyond simple friendship just not happen. Even women that I knew for a fact felt the same way I did, they just never wanted to take it beyond friendship for some reason. It did not dawn on me until a year or so later that my prayer was being answered. I was not going to go through the hurt of a break up ever again because I was not going to be allowed to date anyone until I met my wife. The old adage be careful what you wish for, you just might get it, is very true.

The rest of the chapter contains stories we have already read in other Gospels and talked about. It contains the story of Jesus casting out a devil and the Pharisees accusing Him of using the power of the devil to do it. It also contains the story of Jesus going to eat with a Pharisee who complained because Jesus did not wash His hands before eating. You know, at first glance, you would think the Pharisee's concern is quite valid. I mean we have our children wash their hands before eating and it is a very hygienic thing to do. But the thing to remember is the Pharisee was not wanting Jesus to wash up for His health, but rather because it was in the traditions and He wanted Jesus to follow the rules of man. When we keep that in mind, Jesus' response makes a lot more sense. It's not that He doesn't want to be healthy, however, He knows the Pharisees are not concerned about His health so much as they His following their traditions.

We are now about to start the part of Luke where Jesus gives several parables, including quite a few that we have not read before in Matthew or Mark. This is what Luke is primarily known for, having parables and speaking to the thinkers and philosophers of the world. There are great insights to be had and learned from reading Jesus' parables. As we read with the Spirit as our companion, I know we will have new insights into the scriptures and will learn what God wants us to know. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment