Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Leaders Blame the Prophet

Today I read Jeremiah 21 where he foretells the destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon.  I can't help but wonder how widespread Jeremiah's prophecies were at the time.  Did Lehi know about them?  I know they had many of the prophecies of Jeremiah on the Brass plates according to Nephi, but did they know about them before they had the plates is what I am curious about.  I suspect that they did not.  I think that the leaders of Jerusalem at the time would have tried their best to suppress Jeremiah's prophecies.  Leaders always seem to want to suppress naysayers of all kinds instead of taking a look at themselves to determine just why people are not falling in behind them.  We have that exact same issue today in our own country.  And while our prophet is not prophesying the destruction of our society due to its leaders, there are plenty of people who find faults with our leaders.  And like Zedekiah of old, instead of looking at himself and what he has done, he blames those who speak against him.  But I don't want to spend more time talking about our modern day leaders and only brought it up to show patterns that repeat themselves.  When the prophet speaks, we need to listen, no matter what he is saying, and that is all there is to it.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment