Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Atonement Sacrifice of Animals is Laid Forth

Today I read Leviticus 1 where the rules of how to sacrifice animals are laid forth.  I can't help but wonder why the Lord would want animal sacrifices anyway.  What purpose do they serve?  They remind the people of Israel of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how His eternal sacrifice will save them, but I am not aware of any eternal laws that state an animal can be sacrificed in place of another person for the remission of our sins. 

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is retroactive, meaning it covers all the sins of everyone who had already lived.  So this includes the children of Israel who are sacrificing animals at God's behest.  Not only that, but we learn in the Word of Wisdom that animals are precious to the Lord and while they are here for our use and benefit, it is pleasing to the Lord that we use them only when we need to, in times of scarcity of food and winter.  So why does God require animal sacrifice at all?

I really don't have the answer.  I know that it is all a type and a shadow of things to come and to point the people forward to the Atonement, but beyond that, I don't know.  I do know that I could not have lived in those days.  Just reading about what they had to do to those poor animals makes me sad and sick to my stomach.  I am really glad that we no longer have to do animal sacrifices, I'm not sure how I would handle them honestly.  I like animals and don't think I could constantly be having to kill them, especially knowing they were dying because I did something wrong.  Although, I should feel bad about that anyway since all sin causes our Savior to suffer. 

So whatever the reasons for it, God has commanded the children of Israel to perform animals sacrifices.  We will learn more about it as we read Leviticus and hopefully the Lord will share with me why it was required in the first place.  I am interested since I know the Lord does not condone wonton slaughter of animals.  I'm sure if it is important for me to know, He will share it with me.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment